Swearing. Did you swear in the presence of your parents? If not was it out of respect for your parents or cuz you did not want to get in trouble. How do you feel about swearing in general?

I was just thinking of how much my 13yr old stop herself in mid sentence and does not say the swear word that I know she is thinking. (or was about to say) I did not swear in front of my mom cuz I did not want her to be upset with me or think less of me. I respect my mom and still want to behave around her. I do know my little does swear and no I do not like it. Yes I do have slips where I do swear myself and it is a hard habbit to break completly.

debmom07

Asked by debmom07 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I did not dare EVER swear in front of my parents when I was younger for fear I would get in trouble. Now that I am older and can't get in trouble anymore...I still don't just because I feel I can choose better words to say around my parents.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I didn't and still don't swear because it just wasn't "normal" in my house or the people I was around. It never occurred to me that swearing was okay or for us at all.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I was born in 1960, never swore around my parents but always with friends. My daughter is22 and came close a few times and maybe once or twice during big fights as teen and now she just swears like I'm her friend. my son is 12 and does not like swearing because he only sees me and my husband do it when we are really pissed but never at him. Sometimes we joke about it but basically we are trying to teach him to be respectful. My grandmother used to say, "Profanity is a crutch for a crippled conversationalist".
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 12:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• In a family situation and especially when my kids are around I dont around my parents, but my mom and I go out about every other month and we are a little more loose lipped then. But nothing over the top, things like crap and damn, but the worse ones I would never say in front of my mom.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am 36 and my parents have never heard me swear. I don't swear at all because I think it would make me sound very unintelligent. I don't hang out with people who use bad language all the time. I personally think it is very low class.

Anonymous

• I don't like swearing, but I am guilty of doing it! LOL! I NEVER would have dared to swear in front of my parents. And honestly, I didn't swear even with friends until I was in my 20's. I don't think it's very ladylike, and I have been making a conscious effort to not do it!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 12:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I never swore around my aunt and uncle (mom passed when I was young, dad was not there), we would get into SOOO much trouble, and probably a stinging cheek to go with it..lol I did with friends. But i partially blame being a Marine to my seriously bad language now..LMAO. Hubby does too, but I know he swore a lot with his family when he was younger...(they didnt care). I say bad words more often when I am seriously pissed. But I try to hide a lot of them by saying cuss words in spanish.(I am hispanic)..my kids think its funny, but I know they can pick up on those words too. I actually got my MIL saying 'pendejo' instead of a**hole..lol.
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Around friends I can have a bad potty mouth. I don't do it around family. I am in my 30's and still feel horrible if one slips out over the phone with my mom. Not calling her a bad name but discussing a situaltion that has ticked me off, ya know.
    Anonymous

• I still to this day dont swear in front of my mama.. Now my dad i do but hez yelling swear words anyway.. LOL I think it a respect thing..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Swearing was not really done in my house so no, I didnt swear in front of my parents. I didnt even say shut up til 6th grade and I said it and felt horrid afterwards LOL.

Swearing isnt the greatest and I try hard not to but have and my oldest has picked it up and uses nasty words to get me riled up(he's a button pusher). Im not gonna wig cuz he said something tho that just adds fuel to his fire. The world wont collapse over swearing so I have learned to calm down about it.

As for nowadays when Im around my parents or grandparents...Ive said hell or damn or pissed but thats about it.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 2:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2009