If your kids play in a sandbox, how do you keep the sand from staining their clothes?

We bought white sand, but it was SO expensive and they threw it all out! I noticed that if they play in the sand and it's wet at all it stains the butt of their pants! I mean, they aren't terrific outfits, but still! Is there some way to avoid this, other than going back to the white or colored Crayola sand? That costs $6 a bag, by the way!

4kidsandadog

Asked by 4kidsandadog at 12:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I know what you mean! I couldn't even find white sand near me, just builder's sand. I've found the OxyClean will get it out of most clothes.

I put a 1/2 scoop in a bucket and fill the bucket with warm water.
    Then I add the clothes and let it soak overnight.
    Then I dump it all in the washer and wash as normal.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I just bought a sand box but i haven't got the sand yet so i have no idea on the stain part but good idea for asking
    Anonymous

• Someone posted an idea on a parents group before. I never used it but heard it works good. They fill the box with bird seeds. So if they want to make sandcastles it won't work. Anyway when not in use they cover it. However if they threw it all over the yard the birds eat it.
    Another lady said she fills with beans. Just becareful if you stick with sand. A website said if you look on warning labels some bagged sand is harmful
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 12:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I read on a few websites that they recommend dust free, washed and sterilized pea gravel to avoid the sometimes harmful dust from play sands. If that's not an option (some won't like it because the kids can't build sandcastles), then check out the site below (its more expensive but well worth it for the safety of your children:

http://www.greendaily.com/2008/07/20/safe-sandbox-and-play-sand/

http://www.safesand.com/information.htm

http://safesand.stores.yahoo.net/ornatplaysan.html
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• i had NO idea sand stained clothing... * i don't get out much, but i plan to take baby out as much as i can...when she has mastered walking.

i didn't even know there were different kinds you could buy for a sand box O__o

very neat... thanks for posting the question!
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 1:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My kids have play clothes that are just that ...play clothes they can stain them with whatever and I don't care. You may have to go back to the higher $ sand and just teach them to keep it in the sand box
    But for stains I want out of their good clothes I use spray and wash dual action. It is not a spray but a squeeze bottle for about 3.50 at walmart
    G/L
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2009