Is it Ok to give your kid a raw hot dog?

My kids love beef hot dogs. My 2 year old sometimes wants it straight from the package....my mom would never have let us do that! I'm wondering if it's Ok to let him do it? I take it away from him now and cook it before giving it back! I mean he eats these like a snack! That and fruit and lettuce! LOL! Thanks in advance for answering!

4kidsandadog

Asked by 4kidsandadog at 12:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• yes its fine. when I was a kid my granny and papaw used to give it to me straight from the freezer ( loved it like that it was like icecream) hahahaha but really its already cooked so it is fine.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Personally I would not, but it's no worse than lunch meat. Both can harbor toxoplasmosis bacteria.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• they're not raw, they're just cold. it's fine.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Yeah, hot dogs come fully cooked. When you "cook" them, you're really just heating them up. It's fine to eat them cold, if you can stand them that way, lol.
    Anonymous

• Thank you all for answering! I was worried, and my husband said it's fine! But I didn't believe him! LOL!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 1:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Yes, it is fine. Hot dogs are just like bologna. As kids, we used to eat them frozen!! Hot dogs are fully cooked, and just need to be reheated.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2009