6month old seems 2b waking up every nite at 3am crying bloody murder and will not stop until she gets bottle and most of the time she only drinks 1-2oz? she gets like 32-36 oz a day plus 2 solid feedings? help!!!

New mom here and my mom passed so have no one to really ask...

Jolies-Moma

Asked by Jolies-Moma at 12:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try adding a 3rd solid feeding a day and make sure that her tummy is nice and full right before bed time. I don't know what else to suggest. My LO was sleeping through the night and eating 3 meals a day at 6 mos but was only taking in about 20-24 oz of formula. Just remember that my LO who is 9 mo is the same size as an average 4 mo old.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• First of all....I'm so sorry that you don't have your mom around! ~ It sounds to me like she is needing help to go back to sleep. Do you feed her to put her to bed? Start by trying to get her to bed without a bottle. You can feed her, and wake her slightly before putting her down, so she can "learn" how to go to sleep.
    This is HARD and we all go through it, so don't get discouraged!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:35 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I think if she's only eating that much when she wakes up that its not out of hungry and she needs to learn to fall asleep unassisted. My son had tons of problems learning this. There are many methods you can try - I will recommend the healthy sleep habits happy child - you don't have to read the whole book either to figure out the methods - they have it pretty well mapped out - I went straight to 100% crying it out with my son because his situation was a bit different. good luck!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• It sounds to me, based on her age, that she's probably teething and the pain wakes her up. Then she gets so worked up about it that the only thing that calms her is sucking on her bottle.

First things first, buy some earplugs, because while you are trying to calm her you will only get frazzled faster if the screams are driving you nuts. If you can drown them out and stay with her, you send the message that Mommy cares. I would go buy some teething tablets that you can stick under her tounge when she is crying, If it is teething pain, her pain will go away in a few minutes. Also, with your doctor's ok start diluting her 1-2 ounces with warm water over a few days until she's only taking water. If she's waking for food, she'll stop since water doesn't taste as good...

Hang in there! We've all gone through it, and you'll survive it too!
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 1:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• my son started doing this around the same age except he did not want to eat anything. aked the pediatrician and he told me it could be night terrors like bad dreams that are hard to wake up from. my son did it up to about 1 1/2. but now at eight years old is a sleep walker. maybe you could ask your ped. if that could be what is bothering your little one.
    lovebug299

Answer by lovebug299 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2009