How to get my 4 year old to sleep through the night???

I have an almost 4 year old and ever since she was 4 months old she hasn't slept through the night...When she first got her first tooth she started waking at like 1 or2 in the morning and i thought it would pass....But she still does it. She doesn't get anything when she wakes and she doesn't need anthing but she wakes and I tell her to go back to sleep but she will lay there and talk. I wouldn't think this was concerning but she hasn't taken a nap during the day since she was 2 and i'm just concerned that she isn't getting enough sleep....Maybe i could be wrong....Any ideas??

StefNBecca

Asked by StefNBecca at 12:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does she sleep in her own bed or with you?
    ~ If she is in your bed, don't let her talk to you....tell her that it is night time and she needs to sleep. Pretend that you are asleep so she won't have anyone to talk to!
    ~ If she is in her own bed, do the same thing and remind her that it is night time and that it's time for sleeping. Assure her that you can talk in the morning when the sun comes up! If she wants to lay there and talk to herself, I guess I would just let her as long as she let me sleep!! LOL!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:41 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Yes she sleeps in her own bed she has since she was 2 weeks old I was always afriad i would roll over on her in the night.....I just seems like even if you tell her it is time to sleep and that it is dark out she just talks it is almost as if a thought has come into her head and she has to wake up and say it before she forgets it is just rather odd...Thank-you for an option!!
    StefNBecca

Answer by StefNBecca at 3:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• OMG my daughter used to do this all of the time. I had had it and started a strict bed time routine. We eat supper, then at 7:00 the routine: bath, snack, brush teeth, read books, lights out. Every night, same time, same thing and it has worked! She will wake up once in awhile but not near as bad as it used to be! HTH!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2009