Whiny and edmanding 5 year old girl

My daughter turned 5 a few months ago...I do not know what to do with her...everyday is a major melt down, she is very demanding and whines. This started after I had my son 2 years ago and has just gotten worse. We try to do activities with just her...but nothing is good enough. Is this normal 5 year old behavior??? My husband and I are going nuts dealing with this demanding whiny child....any suggestions would be great :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter was like this when she was 5 too! ~ The more you give in to it, the worse it gets. We have 3 boys, and they weren't like this at all, so she kinda took us by surprise.
    You have to hit it head on.....ignore all whining and make her talk to you in a normal voice, or nobody listens. if she cries to get something, it is an automatic "no", even if it would have been a "yes". It really didn't take very long to put an end to it, but we had to be really consistent and downright mean at times! Now, she just turned 8, and she is such a sweetheart.
    You gotta be strong, and you gotta be tough, and you have to both be in agreement, but you will be thankful later! GOOD LUCK!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• i hope so, cause my boy is 5 and doing the same thing.. lol.. its all the time, i feel for ya mama..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My 5 year old does the same thing. Look up love and logic classes. Also, I recommend a book called Don't make me count to 3 by Ginger Plowman. It's a great book and it is easy reading. All you can do is just know they will grow out of it!
    audge138

Answer by audge138 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• "All you can do is just know they will grow out of it!"

NO ~ THEY WON'T JUST GROW OUT OF IT ~ SORRY, WISH IT WAS THAT EASY THOUGH!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My first question would be, what is your discipline structure at home? Is it consistent? Does she get the same punishment/consequence every time, or does it change from day to day or hour to hour? How much attention is she REALLY getting? You say that you do things with her, but are you giving her some attention the rest of the day as well?

audge138 suggested love and logic classes - I strongly recommend this series of books. www.loveandlogic.com

You can also find them on amazon.com.

I have the Love and Logic book and the Love and Logic for early childhood. My next purchase is going to be the love and logic for teens. It has worked WONDERS for my kids.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• love and logic is a joke!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Anon:

I'm not saying it works for everyone, but why make a rude comment like that?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I try my best to keep her discipline the same, but some days it varies depending whats going on. My 2 year old son is having speech issues so have been working extra with him, to get him caught up. I try to do an activity with her when my son naps daily. I try to just give her time outs when she throws a fit and then after that she is uaully ok for awhile...I am just wondering when she is finally going to realize whining is not the way to get things. I will def have to look the book up...thanks :)
    Anonymous

• Wow. I completely understand. My son just turned five and he is so dramatic. I sometimes feel like I have a teenage daughter than a five year old son. And, it only gets worse when his 4.5 year old cousin comes over. 5 minutes with them and we are ready to pull our hair out!
    ElijahsMommy474

Answer by ElijahsMommy474 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2009