how do i start weaning my 16 mo old off my breast ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just start cutting out one meal at a time every few days. You could start with the earliest one and work your way down. Just start giving cereal or whatever else for a meal/snack instead. I weaned my dd at 14 months and by the time we were down to the last feeding she didn't even care.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 1:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Don't offer, don't refuse. Often at this age when they hear mom say no when they ask to nurse it makes them ask more! Try to anticipate when she is going to ask to nurse and offer an alternative (drink, snack, go for a walk etc.) Avoid being in places where she likes to nurse. Get rid of the "easy"ones first. Many moms find it is easiest to wait and take away nursing right before bed and/or first thing in the morning last. Some good tips on toddler weaning at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/weantoddler.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:35 PM on Apr. 9, 2009