Why do we care about celebrities' personal lives?

Why do people care so much about celebrities' lives? I mean, knowing a little bit about them is fine and interesting, but why read tabloids and other magazines about who went outside with shoes that don't match their outfit, who's dating who, who got drunk last night.....WHO CARES? It scares me how people obsess over things like this and don't pay attention to REAL news! And it's not very considerate to the celebrity who is a human being just like you. Why not just concentrate on the talent they have or the art they make? That's all that should really matter.

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Entertainment

• I agree. I just don't really care what they are doing in their lives.
    Though I guess if you really really like a celebrity, you would probably be interested in their lives. For instance, my favorite nascar driver is Jeff Gordon. I do like hearing about his life- his wife and adorable little girl. But I'm not obsessed with him (though some people may say I am).
    This is a little different, but it makes me think of KLove- a Christian radio station. Their morning show dj's suddenly were gone one day. All the radio station would say was that they had family issues to deal with.
    Well, people were all upset because they wanted to know what happened and some even accused the radio station of lying (saying they probably fired them). I just thought it was silly to think that we, as listeners, have a right to know what was going on. If it's a private matter, why do we need to know?
    rosiecotton

Answer by rosiecotton at 1:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Hey Rosie :) I have my obsessions too....you'll see one on my page :) And I do like to know things about peoples' lives that I am a fan of...like how they got where they are, what inspires them, etc. If it helps me understand their art, then it's interesting. But to care if they have a bad hair day to the point where it gets spread all over world news is ridiculous! No one I really like is a big-time celebrity, and many of them don't even want to be because of the way they get treated by the public. I think if you are going to be a fan of someone, you should be NICE to them and realize they just want to be treated like human-beings....which includes letting them have their personal lives. If you really REALLY respect someone enough to call yourself a fan, then why would you be so disrespectful as to pry into their personal lives and judge every move they make?
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I could careless.. Some ppl do it cause they have no life or wish they had that one.. Im just not a bg fan of being a big fan..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Im just not a bg fan of being a big fan..

haha thats me too! i have my favorite actors, but i could care less what they're up to unless its a new movie. but no matter how little i care, i still hear about all these celebrities business. i dont read tabloids or watch TV celebrity news...but i have ALL this brain space used up by needless crap about celebrities.

and when i see ppl bashing a celeb for their fashion choices that really ticks me off. its not like they designed the outfit...they're just modeling it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I don't want to know everything about my favorite actors or singers because it often just dissapoints me and ruins their performance for me.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• "and when i see ppl bashing a celeb for their fashion choices that really ticks me off. its not like they designed the outfit...they're just modeling it."

Or even worse, when they get bashed for what they were wearing when they walked down the driveway to get their mail! LOL
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• i stalked my fav celebrity down and tricked him into marrying me :) and giving me a child LOL
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I only ever foolow celebrities when thye have down something truly abizmal. Like jade goody dying. That was very sad. basically only if they're dying/died/commited a REAL crime.

So, im not goona follow a celeb if they start stealing. But i will if they are accused of muder or rascism. And THAT is because i would foolow that on any person Famous or no.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Necro.......see? That's what I mean! You psycho stalker! LOL ;)
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Its not that I care...more so of a satisfaction type of thing. Their lives look so nice, don't they? They have the money, fame, all of that...to see that they have normal lives with issues is appealing and satisfactory to me.

babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2009