What's the hardest thing you've had to do for your child so far?

like weaning or potty training etc.

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 12:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Taking away the pacifier when she was 5 mos. That was the worst week of my life. I wish to never have to do that again.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Watch them suffer through any disappointment. I always want to jump & wave my magic wand to make it all go away. But I would be doing a dis-service to them.

CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 12:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Dude was born with his vocal cords grown together, we had to take him and have them lazrd apart twice.. Its been so ruff, the burn his little throat.. That was the hardest cause he knew the hosp where we went and we would have to drag his kicn and screamn.. PLUS they had to knock him out to do it and there is always that chance he couldnt wake up.. It was an awful time..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Making them move out and stand on their own two feet..... good lord, it's like they aren't grown up in your heart at all...... and just like helping them potty train, you WANT to help them do this too... but you gotta stand back and let happen what happens. Tears your heart out. But it's good for them.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My son had to have full penis reconstruction. It was causing problems and it had to be fixed by two years old. He was 21 months old and had this incredibly painful surgery and it takes months to recover. He couldn't take the pain meds because it made him feel worse. It just had this funny reaction to him so he had to just take Motrin. It was horrible watching him go through that. I think I cried for 4 weeks straight. It had to be done but watching your baby in pain and know you can't fix it is the worst feeling. Especially when he peed. It hurt him so bad, he acted like someone was cutting his arm off. The urologist actually cried when he saw the way my son reacted to urinating. It was a painful experience for all of us.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I had to make my son wear an eye patch to improve his vision in one eye. It was the hardest thing to watch him function with just one eye that wasn't working. And to watch him shy away from people who saw him with the patch on.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 12:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I have a 6 month old.. and thanks to god i have not had to go through crazy health issues.... so the hardest i have had to deal is watching him get his shots... the face they make..... tears me up
    iliana90

Answer by iliana90 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• The roughest thing so far....

1) Going through the evaluations for his developmental delays.

2) Evaluations for delays and possible ASD, taking him to the ER twice. Once for a broken leg and the second for a BAD case of croup. And having him diagnosed with asthma.

3) Surgery for amblyopia (4 muscles) and having him diagnosed with asthma.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• The hardest for me was always the morning of surgeries. Having to deny him anything to eat or drink. Also, handing him over to the surgical staff.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 1:15 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• When my son was 8 months old they found a lump and we thought he had cancer...thankfully he is okay and did not have cancer, but the waiting to go to a specialist was very hard.

Having a miscarriage.

My son also had penal adhesion and the doctor separated it manually, that was very hard to watch, and it still bothers him at times.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 1:27 PM on Apr. 9, 2009