Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can someone help me understand my tax return?

I am separated with the STBE, since 2008, he is self employed, we have an 8 year old son, living permanently with me. STBE is self employed and has a lot of business deductions. As for me I got unemployment benefits for 3 months, last year. Should I file separately from him or together, I had my tax withheld from my benefits, does that mean I don't owe IRS anything? We didn't receive any stimulus check last year, so shouldn't we expect anything this year too?
I am just trying desperately to get myself out from the financial dependency on him. I what section should I post this question in? I will try current events, since the 15th of April coming up.

Answer Question

Asked by BeaMoore at 12:48 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 17 (3,412 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • file married but separate. You should have received a 1099 from unemployment since you did not pay taxes. If you did not you need to contact them. You should have gotten a stimulus check for your child and yourself. It will ask you on the forms or online when you do it, or if you take it to a professional.


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • I had my taxes withheld from the checks. Does that mean I don't owe them or do I?

    Answer by BeaMoore at 12:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • you probably won't owe but you still should have a 1099 from them, you still have to report it if it was more than 600.00

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • It complicated, Bea. Are you civil with your ex? If so, it may be worthwhile to see which way is most beneficial. As far as you taxes being withheld, that should cover you unless for some reason your withholdings were lower than they should have been. If you guys are not civil, go ahead and file separate and take the standard deduction. If you paid anything you should be OK.

    Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • I had 10% withheld. We are very civil with the STBE, no matter how much sometimes I would love to kick his behind. I am just trying to figure it all out. He is always for paying someone to do this for him, I am all for saving money when you can, like filing taxes instead of using H&R Block.

    Answer by BeaMoore at 1:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • I hate to say it, but you may have to try both ways. It's hard to say, especially since I always pay someone to do my taxes, since I too am a business owner and I don't want to miss any deductions.

    Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • Yeah, I am gonna do that too. Thank you so much for advice.

    Answer by BeaMoore at 1:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • goto the irs site and you can typ in your soc and see if you are eligible for for the stimulus from last year. most likely you are eligible to have your taxes done for free. Also see irs site.

    Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • If you have all your forms, get TurboTax. Despite what that lying politician said, it does your taxes corresctly and fairly painlessly. We were audited year before last and came up smelling roses, (they actually found a $4 error--in OUR favor!) and we've used TurboTax for the last 6 years.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.