Lottery winners and Welfare Recipients.... get nothing??

I heard this morning on the CW that the government is trying to put in place a "law" , rule, whatever; that says If you receive any type of government assistance AND you win the lottery.... you only get $600.

On the one hand I get it..... if you're in such a way that you have to have government assistance - why are you throwing money away on lottery tickets?? On the other hand, I'm not sure that's not some form of ....... dare I say it..... socialism? I mean I totally agree, playing the lottery with welfare money is just in bad taste, but the government actually stepping in and refusing to let you claim your winnings?? Why not just make you pay back everything you've received from the government (along with the enormous taxes you'll already pay) and then ban you from public assistance? I think this might blow up in the governments face----- or ours. What do you think?

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 12:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• IDK, I think the whole thing is ridiculous to tell you the truth. What if the ticket was a gift from a friend? Or a one time thing that just so happened to be a winner that time? You would think the government would just be happy that the person will (assumedly) no longer be on the system . . .
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Ditto i totally agree with ya .Winning the lottery is a blessing and we should all be treated the same .Just like loans they should pay what ever they recieved back because thats tax payers money .But the rest thats there business what they do with that crap why doesnt the goverment go and get those people that took the goverment money and bounced on it .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• If a welfare queen has collected 200k in assistance over her lifetime and she wins the lottery she should fork it over to the Government. It is likely the Governments money that bought the ticket. They can take out what it cost to support her with interest then she can have what is left over. Sounds good to me.
    Anonymous

• Have not heard of this as of yet.Of course that doesn't mean i'm saying it's not true just don't know.I do know I had heard something about just people in general who win the lotto,powerball etc will not be recieveing as much as before in winnings.
    Anonymous

• Well you are right, they shouldn't be playing the lottery but if they do and win and they only get 600 is wrong. They should be allowed to collect their winnings but should also pay back what they got from welfare.

Anonymous

• Meh. I doubt this legislation is actually being considered. Link?

Boy, according to Cafemom, there are hundreds of millions of people on assistance, and only 2 or 3 people paying taxes. Crazy.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• lmao the lottery industry will go bankrupt! So far as I've seen, only "poor" people buy lottery tickets, the occasional middle class yes, but wow...this will cut deeper than they know!
    Anonymous

• hahaha, good pay the freggin government back!
    Anonymous

• Gee- I guess they just dont want them to get off government assistance afterall. Lol.
    Anonymous

• No they don't
    Anonymous