Do you care about your credit (score)?

I'm not out to intentionally ruin my credit lol, but I also don't really care about it. Never owned a credit card, had a loan or a checking account, so I guess I just missed out on the credit obsession. I love using cash only, yeah it sucks sometimes like we can't rent hotel rooms (no credit card) or buy brand new appliances unless we save for a while, but it's worked well for us. So who else doesn't give a hoot about their credit, or am I alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I used to care, but not anymore. I have a 1 credit card left that I owe on and haven't made a payment in almost 4 years. I haven't had to money to pay it. It got out of control with the over limit fees and the non payment fees. At this point I just don't care. If I can't pay for it with what I have in my checking account I don't need it. That is the end of my debate with myself.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I don't think you're alone, its a great mind set that you have about if you can't afford it then don't buy it. But still credit is needed for a car or mortgage etc ya know.

Anonymous

• At the moment, no we don't care. Money is tight so I know our credit has gone downhill extremely over the last year because we haven't been able to pay bills or have been really late. We have our house and we keep up with the daily bills and pay what else we can. We don't plan on moving anytime soon and hopefully we won't need a new car so yeah, we don't care about our credit.
    Anonymous

• I either use cash or a debit card. Credit cards can cause too many problems! Even if you are making the payments no problem, what happens if one of you loses your job? That's why I agree with you. Of course, it makes in nearly impossible to buy a house, unless you win the lottery or something. But for my day to day, no I don't want, need, or use a credit card!
    Anonymous

• Dave Ramsey would be proud. We care... we have to. Cuz we've got some cleaning up to do... 2008 kicked our butts financially. We lost everything, jobs, house, car - having to start over again at our age is horrible. But we're doing it. Thank goodness for the oilfield!
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• We own our home. Granted it's not a McMansion lol, but we saved enough to buy a home direct from buyer, no morgtage, broker or credit needed. I realize ours is a unique situation, but it's possible to buy a home with cash in hand :-) We buy our vehicles from private sellers, well once from a lot, and have never spent over a grand on a vehicle. Got a lemon once, but we were able to sell it to a garage mechanic. Told him what it was doing, and he fixed it and sold it for triple what he bought it for lol. Good for him!
    Anonymous

• direct from seller I mean lol...my kid's bugging me for candy so I'm kinda distracted @.@
    Anonymous

• I protect my score since we are buying a home. Our scores are in the 800 range. We do use credit cards but we pay the one we use off every month. I pay my bills and for everything with the card. I have never paid a finance charge or lick of interest either. I do have three airline tickets New Zealand on my desk. I still have enough points to pay for our hotels and food while on vacation there for three weeks.

I think it is smart to live on a cash only basis if you have no self control. We have always used our credit card and never been in debt. We do pay cash for our new cars and will put over half down when we buy our home. We will pay the house off in 5 years. Credit cards are only bad if you work for them instead of making them work for you. I get airline tickets and 2000 gift cards to Target every year. So I have made them work for me and have an excellent credit score.
    Anonymous

• I dont really care any more. We were doing really good until last fall, and it seemed everything went wrong at once. We had both cars break and need costly repairs with in 2 weeks of each other. We HAD to get them fixed since we need both of them. Then several other things came up and put us pretty far behind. We are just now catching up with things and our CC payments were months late. So now, our credit is pretty much crap and will be that way for a while. Everything should be paid off by the summer, and then I'll start trying to rebuild things.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 1:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2009