How much castor oil should I take to induce labor?

And when could I expect it to start working if it's going to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Depends on how bad you want to poop and feel pukey. It is not going to work so have fun. Your body will not go into labor until ready
    Anonymous

• Few teaspoons. It will only work if your body is ready.

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 1:28 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• NONE it's an old wives tale. The only reason you MIGHT go into labor is because you'll be puking and crapping your guts out, and you're labor would be stress induced, which could cause fetal stress. I tried that when I was pregnant with my first.... the doctor freaked and yelled at me for doing it.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:28 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• It made me lose my mucous plug with my first. I just had the shits with my second. Never puked...

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 1:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• http://www.birthingnaturally.net/cn/technique/castor.html

This site has alot of good info on it along with pros and cons. But make sure to let your Dr know what you are doing ahead of time, and ask his/her opinion.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Talk to your provider before trying this or any other DIY induction technique. Nearly all of them carry some risk to the baby. The risks from castor oil include you getting dehydrated (making labor worse) and baby passing meconium inside you which can lead to serious infections for baby. Your doc and you may be comfortable with the risks, but doc should be aware if you are using induction techniques so they can be prepared for the complications that may arise.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Drink the whole bottle..that way your body has no other choice but to be ready..but put it in some orange juice =) and then eat applesauce and/or white rice so that you dont puke it back up..

Applesauce and white rice NEVER come back up =)
    Anonymous

• I have never heard any positive feedback from mothers who have tried this method! I agree with the person who said to let your doctor know what you are doing first.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2009