Dd is TERRIFIED of the vacuum!

I can only vacuum when dh is home and he takes her upstairs. (I have to vacuum like every day or two, because the dog's black hair EVERYWHERE)

Has anyone else went through this? Did he/she get over it? I'm thinking that I might need a quieter vacuum. As soon as I pulled it out, she got a panicked look on her face! Poor baby!

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it's normal. How old? My daughter was scared of all the loud stuff, too. What I did was when she got to be, I can't remember, maybe 9 months or so?... I started teaching her to make the loud noises, too. So if I was going to use the blender to puree some fruit for her, I'd hold her and we'd growl together at the blender. She thought that part was hilarious. We'd do that, and then I'd hold her and turn the blender on for a few seconds. She'd get upset, but I'd stop it and we'd imitate it again. I'd always hold her when I used the blender or the vacuum (unless my husband was home, then he'd take her upstairs). Now she's 22 months old and still growls at anything that makes a loud noise, including airplanes, to show she's not scared. So cute! She still looks a little nervous when I run the vacuum (it's REALLY loud), but she's excited, too. I let her help now, and I think pretty soon she'll be totally over it. GL
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:41 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• lol I can't blame her for being scared. Can you imagine being that little and your mom pulls out this weird looking thing that has a light on it, makes an awful noise, vibrates the floor, and is bigger than you? I don't have any tips for you but she will grow out of it eventually
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• http://www.babiesonline.com/babysfirstyear/week43.asp

I googled and found this for you. Read the part that says "What might concern you at 43 weeks"

a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My oldest son was afraid of the vacuum too. He is turning ten and still doesn't like it.
    I just did it when he wasn't in the room, or while he was sleeping.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Mine was scared, but, when I sat him on it and started pushing him around the room, after he freaked, he laughed. No more probs after that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Mine would scream as if in pain when I ran the vacuum, the mixer, the blender, the drill, the screwgun, etc.

Not to say that this is always the case, but my son has been diagnosed with SPD.

With a lot of work, he can now tolerate those noises for short periods of time. He's 5 now.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• What's SPD?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• The only thing she minds is the vacuum. I have a magic bullet which is loud and also the garbage disposal . . . these don't bother her.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• She doesn't have SPD then probably. Sensory Processing Disorder.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• awww..poor baby..my son is 5 1/2 months old and hes the opposite he loves it...if hes crying and i turn it on he stops crying and starts smiling.
    stacy2607

Answer by stacy2607 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2009