Should kids sleepover?

My kids are 10 and 8. They want to sleepover at their friends house. I am afraid to let them. They think I am being unfair. Should I let them? When they are at home I know they are alright. Am I being too over protective? We are friends with the parents.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am ok with it for my 8 year old as long as I know the parents well and trust them. He's had a couple of sleepovers.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• If you know and trust their friends parents, why not let them sleepover? It's a natural part of growing up and letting go.....If you are extremely uncomfortable, start by letting them play for longer and longer lengths of time to wean yourself....lol!
    Have you let the friends sleepover at YOUR house first? That might be good practice too!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• If you know the parents and they are ok with it I would say yes. But I have a 5 year old that wants to have or go to a sleep over and i think he isn't ready yet.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Mine is 13 and is doing it tonight, but, he has been doing it since kindergarten. I knew he was ready and I knew the parents. Now that he is 13, I trust him more than I know the parents and so far no reason to worry.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I will not allow my daughter to sleep at anyone elses home. It is far more likely to be the parent of a friend, a family member, or one of your own trusted friends who would violate your child than the stranger down the road on the registry.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 2:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• YOU ARE NOT BEING OVER PROTECTIVE, YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO CAREFUL EVEN IF YOU KNOW THE PARENTS. I SUGGEST INSTEAD OF DEPRIVING THEM OF A SLEEPOVER, HAVE ONE AT YOUR HOUSE, THIS WAY YOU WILL ALL BE HAPPY!

Answer by older at 4:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2009