Terrible two's??

My son is 2 and a few months...he is a late talker so he sometimes gets frustrated...when he gets upset he has to throw everything in sight or he sometimes runs up to the wall and hits it with his hands...is this normal behavior? Should I ignore it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignore the behavior.. if you give it any type of attention, it will only invoke him to do it more.

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 1:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• It is absolutely 100% normal. In fact, just wait . . . It might get worse - mine is only 18 months and lays down in the floor, LOL.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My son is also 2 and a few months and he is starting to have little temper tantrums and throws things. I often tell him to go to his room and pick up the items that he threw and make him stay in his room for a while because of his actions. Its normal though sometimes it is funny to see them have their little tantrums because it is their way of seriously telling you that they are mad at you lol. I would not pay it any mind and just react by making them to pick up the items they threw and go in there rooms for a while. Remaining calm is the key.
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 2:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Good answers so far! My daughter throws tantrums occasionally when we say no. We just walk away and keep doing whatever it was we were doing before. We tried time out but that just escalates her anger. Since we started ignoring the behavior the frequency and length of the tantrums have decreased.

When we first started ignoring her tantrums, she would get SO upset and after a few minutes she would want us to hold her. She would continue screaming and crying while we held her. I think she would get so upset and not know how to calm down by herself.

I would also suggest sign language. Teaching him simple signs would help him communicate and decrease his frustration. There are a lot of websites about baby sign language.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 9, 2009