Does your 6 month+ baby take a vitamin with flouride?

Today was our first visit with a new Pediatrician (we moved) and DS is 9 months old. She told me that babies 6 months and older should take a vitamin with flouride and wrote me a prescription for it. My question is, why didn't my other Pediatrician mention it at his 6 month check up and if it is so standard, why would he need a prescription? I have not heard of this yet......Does you baby take the vitamin?

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 2:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Mine didn't, but, he got one once he could chew one. It can't hurt, why not?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I have never heard of this. Maybe the water in the area you moved to doesn't have flouride in it? I really have no idea. Sorry.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I have read some bad things about flouride actually. Some countries have taken it out of the water. You might just google it and do a little research on the subject first. But, I'm sure it's probably okay.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• No, the water here does not have flouride in it. I just dont get why they wouldn't sell these OTC?
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• If there's no flouride in the water, that's probably why. I don't know, though. Never heard of it around here.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I would just use nursery water for drinking/ mixing with formula, etc. Wouldn't that work just as well?
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My son just had his 6 mo visit and the doc said next month she will start him on vitamins.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2009