How do I help a 3 year old girl not be scared to poop in the potty?

She is fully potty trained as far as peeing in the potty but when it comes to pooping she is scared and will not use it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• On the show Jon and Kate Plus 8, Kate rewards their kids for going poo in the toilet. She even goes out of the way to take a picture of the child next to the toilet. She claps and smiles and gives them a gift. The kids really respond to it and can't wait to get a praised

Mommy2Mariah

Answer by Mommy2Mariah at 2:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• We have tried that! and money and giving her a book and all of that fun stuff to make it fun but she screams and tells me no! She does this thing were she will hold it until we put either a pull up on her or underwear! So.. I am sorta lost now!
    JohnsPrincess

Answer by JohnsPrincess at 2:08 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• This might sound mean, but if you make her clean up her own poopy underwear, she will want to use the potty!!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:10 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Have you asked her why she is so scared? It may be that it hurts her to poop. That will cause alot of fear and anxiety around that activity. If it is hurting her, I woudl talk to her doc about what you can do to relieve some of the pain.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I had the same problem with my three year old son. Just hang in there she will eventually get over the fear. My son did now he goes to the bathroom himself wipes washes his hands and is onhis way. Took about a month though before he got over the fear. Same thing though would hold his poop for days sometimes.
    Dee126

Answer by Dee126 at 7:08 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I put a pull-up on my son when he was potty trainning everytime he had to poop. Then I would have him sit on the kiddie potty and poop w/ his cloths on. Then one day he asked for his pull up. I told him to sit on the potty while I hunted for one. I made sure to take a loooong time. He couldn't help it, he pooped before he got his pull up. After that he was never afraid to poop on the potty again
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 8:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Mine is not "afraid" to poo but we have tried rewards and other suggestions for potty training. She is soon to be 4. Just wanted ya to know that though I don't have a suggestion, I am right there with ya, struggling. I do like the idea about them cleaning their own mess. Never heard of that one before.
    Bigmama4Jesus

Answer by Bigmama4Jesus at 9:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My daughter had a horrible case of constipation and stopped using the potty (happens when someone gives them a whole dang bag of fruit snacks). I tried everything to get her to poop on the potty after that and it didn't work... finally one day I said enough, and got a baby enima and used it on her so she'd use it in the potty and see that it didn't hurt anymore, that it wasn't the potty's fault, it was all those fruit snacks (am still ticked at hubby for letting her eat them all in one sitting). She pooped in the potty, and I told her anytime she pooped in the potty she'd get a sucker or a piece of chocolate, her choice... worked great (can use anything that they love to do or eat maybe)
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My daughter had a hard BM one time and became afraid to go in the potty. she would hold it also, which made the BM get harder and larger, thus making it hurt coming out. It became a cycle. I did not ever put pull-ups on her to let her go poop! That is confusing to a child and just delays their potty training success. I just watched her closely, and when she got to the point where she could no longer hold it in and had her legs crossed, I took her to the potty and sat her one it. I squatted down on her eye level and talked calmly to her, sang quiet songs, rubbed her back and she went. Finally we broke the cycle! Good luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 7:02 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Well try asking her why she's afraid of going on the potty. Maybe she can tell you something. Also try some of nature's laxitives (prunes and such) and getting her little behind on the toilet and maybe after a good bowel movement she won't be afraid anymore.
    anna_ny

Answer by anna_ny at 4:53 AM on Apr. 11, 2009