Time Travel - a religious perspective - ALL religions please!

I have a world history class I'm taking online, and this chapter one of the (50) subjects we're studying is Jules Verne. I started thinking about his book "The Time Machine" and I had a lot of "what if's" floating through my head . . .

If time travel was possible, would you do it? What if what you found changed your religious beliefs incredibly? For example, what if a Christian goes back in time to find that Jesus was just a regular guy? Alternatively, what if an Atheist goes back to find that Jesus was, in fact, the son of God? What if we went back in time and found that the big bang really WAS how it happened, or that God really created the world in six days.

So, if going back in time meant that you're religious beliefs were going to be proved wrong beyond a shadow of a doubt, would you do it?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• sure. I would have no problem doing it no matter what the outcome. it would be one of those things, I wouldn't be able to change the future cause it's already happened up to the point of where I left( good example of the whole time travel is "the time traveleer's wife" GREAT book.
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 2:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• As a big "what-if-er" myself, I think that proof; one way or another, would change my mind. And thats not a bad thing. Its not bad to believe or not believe or be something in between. Its only bad when we close ourselves off to the possibilites.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Well I firmly believe everything we do has a lesson attached to it that we learn from(whether big or small).

If given the opportunity to go back in time I might take that chance depending on how it all works(like no chance of the machine breaking, only gone for like 48 hrs,etc).

Id love to visit key moments in history but I have no real desire to visit key religious moments(like back in Jesus day,etc). So I dont know that my religious viewpoints would change but if for some reason they did...then it was supposed to happen.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 2:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Yes I would do it. I would want to go to so many times in history, though, I would probably break the machine with all the travelling I was doing. I would want to actually be there for when the continents split apart. I would want to see when man really did show up here. I would want to see what Jesus was like when he was alive. I would want to see what happened when the religios leaders got together and put the bible together. I would want to go to the Salem witch trials and see what actually happend. There are some more modern things I would want to do too, but you get the idea. I guess I am just fascinated by human nature and how things happen the way they do.

-Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Yes.
    I'm like, a scientist. I don't care WHAT the truth is, I just want to find and KNOW it.

Anonymous

• Well instead of going back in time what if we went into the future?! What if an atheist goes into the future and finds himself in Hell for not believing? Sad huh?
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Totally!

I'd love to be proven right or wrong!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• You could never travel into the future because it hasn't happened yet. The future is based on actions of the past. If the past changes, so would the future.

Unless you start talking quantum physics or something similar and I just don't know enough about that to discuss it. lol.

Oh and annamcg18...what if you went into the future and discovered that there is no heavan or hell? Would you be sad then?
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• First the post. Yes i would do it. And if Jesus was the son of god fine. That means all the atrocities in the bible happened and god would still not be worthy of my worship. annamcg- what if you traveled into the future and found out you were going to hell because you worshipped the wrong god? I know you probably can't imagine said scenario, but it could happen. how sad is it now? I would rather go to hell than spend eternity with the egomaniac who would send me there just because I had reasonable doubt of his existence. So whatever.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2009