• In the Spotlight:

what is onion good for?

I love onion in almost everything so I was wondering is it good for something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Health

• 1)Onion inhibits tumour growth because it is rich in a variety of sulfides.Research shows that the Chinese-with the highest intake of onions and garlic-have 40 per cent less risks of cancer.

2)As onion contains essential oils like alipropyl disulphide,catechol,protocatechnic acid and thiopropionoaldehyde-it is beneficial in heart diseases. It also reduces blood cholesterol.

3)Onion contains chromium,which helps to decrease fasting glucose levels,improves glucose tolerance and lowers insulin levels.

4)Onions also stimulate the immune system.

5)Onions with garlic prevent thrombosis and reduce hypertension.

6)Onions are also used as a diuretic,expectorant and antiseptic.

7)Onions may be particularly beneficial for women in combating osteoporosis.

8)Onion can improve lung function,especially in asthma.
    peggy353

Answer by peggy353 at 4:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• An old fashioned remedy for a cough that my grandma uses is to shave an onion really fine and add some sugar to it it will make a paste and take a tablespoon for cough. It really works.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:19 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Supposed to helpp with elevated blood pressure.
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 2:29 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• peggy353: I never knew any of that. Thanks for the info. I have asthma and will have to eat more onions. I like onions so this won't be an issue.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2009