Is this true about kids don't need water???

I took my 15 month old to get testings done at the hospital and he asked me if she took a bottle still. I told him no not for 3 days I told him she did only take it to bed and olny with water in it, but told him I just threw it out 3 days ago. She is 15 months and the doctor told me I shouldn't threw it out yet because if she gets sick or something she is going to want the bottle. Should I had waited? Also he told me that she technacally doesn't need water. WHAT??? I thought dotctors tell you they do need water. He told me all she needs is milk and Juice. I thought babies achually anyone for that matter needed water?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What kind of doctor is this guy! A 15 month old needs milk and water. Not juice. I can't believe he said that! With little babies, like under 9 months, too much water can lower their electrolyte level, but by age 1 they should be drinking water on top of the milk they're drinking. They don't need fruit... they should get their vitamins from fruit and vegetables. What a quack. You were fine on the bottle... she can use a sippy or a regular cup.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• In little babies you usually dont give them water because all it does is fill their bellies instead of providing nutrition. You did not take the bottle away too soon since they are supposed to be off of bottles by 1 year. A cup should be fine for a 15 month old. She is old enough to drink water, and yes they do NEED it, they need at least one cup a day to get the amount of floride that they should be getting.
    Anonymous

• LOL. Needs Juice? What kind of doctor is he? That is so odd!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Correction... above I said "they don't need fruit... " I meant "they don't need juice" (obviously)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Needs juice! That is crazy! My daughter gets milk and water. That's it! This doctor doesn't seem like he understands basic cellular development and the importance of water. Juice actually flushes through the system so quickly the body doesn't absorb enough water from it. Juice should be a special treat.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• EMILYSUSAN thats what I said I told hubby most doctors will tell you water instead of juice. I don't know why this doctor would tell me juice either.
    Anonymous

• I know I was telling him that my dd and my 4 year old dd drink water all day other than milk sometimes, but that they drink water and they only get juice for like lunch and dinner and that is when he told me that she doesn't need the water. He then said all she seeds is juice and milk. I never heard of anyone saying babies NEED JUICE.
    Anonymous

• you got a doctor that is stupid lol
    Anonymous

• I was told not to give water to infants because they have small tummies and need to fill it with nutrients rather than empty water. I would imagine the same applies for toddlers. But once they are older and getting enough nutrients from food, then it's ok to add water just as long as they are getting all the calories and nutrients they need during the day/week. I usually give my dd water if she's been out in the heat and just needs to hydrate. I also got rid of the bottle at a year and she hasn't "needed" it despite being sick fairly often.
    Anonymous

• Bad info from that doctor. My son is 17 months and gets 12 oz of milk and all the water he wants all day.
    mama32177

Answer by mama32177 at 4:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2009