to boost or not too boost?

daughter 1o months she is 17.5lbs and 28.5 inches, her car seat says to switch at 29 inches and 22lbs, obviously her weight isnt gonna reach requirement the same as her length does, i bought her a booster seat with 5pt harness yesterday and she rode in it twice, i just cant help but questiong if im doing the right thing! i called the local PD they said as long as she can sit up by self is all that counts, and if her legs hang off (they do) switch her if "ud like too" so, no real solid answer. what do u moms think?

kyliebugs_mommy

Asked by kyliebugs_mommy at 2:41 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you switched her to a BOOSTER or a front facing carseat?
    Steph_reynolds

Answer by Steph_reynolds at 2:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Boosters are for preschool, like at least 30 lbs, I thought. You must mean a front facing carseat. But even that, I don't think you're supposed to do that until they're at least 12 months old and at least 22 lbs. The 12 months part is important, my pedi said, because of the strength of their necks.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• sorry it front facing car seat, but converts to booster. should of added the slightly important information! lol
    kyliebugs_mommy

Answer by kyliebugs_mommy at 2:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Booster seat or like a convertible car seat that is used as a foward facing seat and later be used as a booster. A 10 month old shouldn't be in a booster seat only.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• OK- thats different
    Id say thats fine.
    my son was in a carseat from about 2 months old. he was (and still is) a BEAST and was too big for his infant carrier/seat by the time he was that age. his legs were so long I turned him front facing at about 5 months. I just made sure the carseat was rated for his weight and height, and, off we went.
    Steph_reynolds

Answer by Steph_reynolds at 3:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• You can buy a convertible car seat. Those can be rear-faced and forward faced (when the child is 22lbs AND 1 year old). Most of them can be rear-faced until about 35 pounds, and you can find ones that forward-face up to 100 pounds. It'd be the only car seat you will ever need. I would return the carseat you brought and get the right one. Your daughter should not be forward faced. Not only is it dangerous, it is illegal in most states (I'd get ticketed if my son was ff, he is 10mo and 24lbs). I think it's also an excellent idea to practice extended rear-facing. 18 months old is the earliest I will turn my son around. Good luck. :)
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 3:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Under the age of one, a baby's neck and spinal column are not developed enough to handle a car crash if they are forward faced. Two short months can make huge difference in a child's development. You wouldn't want someone to hit you and have your child suffer from a spinal cord injury that would impact her for the rest of her life. I say that is not fine. Get a different car seat if the one you have cannot be rear-faced.
    Anonymous

• She's too young and too small to be forward facing. IMO, and in the opinion of the AAP and CPSTs, you are not doing the right thing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• NO FRONT FACING I can't say how important she is to be rearfaced til atleast 1 years old, the AAP recommends 2 years now. Your childs spine is not fused and won't be until between 2-3 years old, in an accident her spinal cord could be severed ....
    this site explains the developement
    http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4209/Car_Seat_Safety:_Rear-facing_is_safest.htm
    and watch this...no sad stories or horror pictures I swear
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• THANX EVERYONE! i didnt get anywhere with my local resources, im so glad u guys commented, i feel so much better now that we put her back in her carseat, and r looking for a good rearfacing/forward facing carseat, I WOULD NEVER WANT ANYTHING BAD TO HAPPEN TO HER! thakx so much, like a 1000pounds lifted of shoulders!
    kyliebugs_mommy

Answer by kyliebugs_mommy at 5:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2009