How can I help my 6yr. old daughter stop wiggling in her seat?

My 6yr. old daughter wiggles in her seat all day at school. When she wiggles she "zones out" and stops doing her work. She has wiggled like this since she was a baby in her walker. I have asked doctors and they said she would grow out of it but now it poses a problem with getting her work done in KG. They are now wanting to bring in a "special chair" that will make her fall when she wiggles. Any suggestions?

sandranethanmom

Asked by sandranethanmom at 2:48 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Uh, wth? A Special chair to make her FALL when she wiggles? I wouldnt dare let the school do that.. what if she hurts herself? Could it be that she has ADHD? You might want to have her evaluated.

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I agree with BEXi
    LuvinMyBoynGirl

Answer by LuvinMyBoynGirl at 2:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• You can't have a child evaluated for ADHD until 1st grade at the earliest. My kids did this too, unfortunately. We told my daughter that we were going to put a seatbelt type thing on her chair, but unfortunately, there isn't really anything you can do. I totally agree that the school should not bbring in a chair that will make her fall. That's absurd. My daughter did it through third grade, it could just be that she has a lot of extra energy, maybe you can put her in an after school activity that would help her get some of that extra energy out of her system. Also, if she enjoys it a lot, you can use it to bribe her, if she does well in school and tries her very best, she can go to tumbling, or whatever it is she gets into.
    OneTiredMamaof5

Answer by OneTiredMamaof5 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Wth? A special chair that would make her fall? I'd say no way on that one. My 6 yr old is exactly like that and she has ADHD. I would look into getting your daughter evaluated and see what the doctor says. We started out with our pediatrician and he referred us for further testing with a therapist. You may want to think about something like that, or at least ask your doctor advice before allowing the school to use that godawful chair.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My stepson is 6 and never sits still at school. Or anytime he's bored (dinner table, etc....). But when he's drawing or building legos he can sit still just fine - this is why I never had him tested for any ADD/ADHD. I definitely wouldn't let them put her in a chair that makes her fall... How exaclty is it getting in the way of her getting her work done? Does she show any other signs that something might be wrong?
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My 7 year old is ADHD, and what you described is so like him. As to thier "special chair"...hell no. Know my son does have a special cushion in his seat that helps make his wiggles less distracting to those around him.

This is a problem the teacher needs to step up and deal with, my sons teachers do gentle reminders to focus on the task at hand, and whatever doesn't get finished during the day is sent home as homework.

I am trying to understand how making a child fall is a good lesson, I mean if a kid is goofing around and falls out of a chair that is one thing, but a child with the wiggles? I really don't get it, I would be in an uproar.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 5:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I just watched a special about schools that are now implementing wiggling in class because it's good for kids. They have them sit on exercise balls or even stand. Maybe you need to talk to the teacher and tell her to deal. If your kid is a wiggler and always has been maybe it's something she just needs. The show I watched (though I haven't personally read any of the research) says that the moving around and fidgeting actually helps kids focus...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• A chair designed to make her fall? Oh hell no. Request a teacher that wants to teach your daughter instead of the one who wants to make excuses.

If YOU feel that she needs to be evaluated at the school then have a diagnostician watch her for a few months and have them report to you and see what they notice. They may tell you it's nothing or she may have a learning disorder. It can be so frustrating because you want the best for your child. But by no means cower down and accept that they are willing to have your child hurt in class because they don't want to do their job.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• She is a very calm child. She doesn't have any other behaviors to show that she would have ADHD or ADD. As long as she is not wiggling (which makes her zone out) she is with the top of the class and has never struggled with learning anything. This is why i'm so confused about the whole thing. She has wiggled in her seat since she could sit in a walker and I assumed it was her way of trying to stay awake when she's tired. She still does it though and it now poses a problem in school because when she zones out and wiggles she does not do her work. I have taken her to the doc and they have now refered me to a specialist but we have not gone as of yet.
    sandranethanmom

Answer by sandranethanmom at 10:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• let the school help her. the chair they give her well help most schools have away of makeing it safe. or have thme try a therapy cusion helps me
    dsdssd466

Answer by dsdssd466 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2014