For moms who practice CIO, how are you sure your baby isnt waking up because they are HUNGRY and need to be fed?

My baby is 4 months old and still wakes up to eat once or twice to eat at night. I want to start the CIO but not sure if I should because of this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mothers know different cries and why is it your biz?
    Anonymous

• CIO is for when you put them to sleep. If they wake up you still check them.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I can tell by my baby's cries.
    Anonymous

• Woah, ANON, she's asking for advice because she's thinking of doing this... Did you even read her question? ... 4 months is too early, IMO. It's a good age to begin to learn to self-soothe, but definitely not ready to CIO yet. At 4 months some babies sleep through but others still need to get some of their calories at night. At 6 months, most healthy, full-term babies can fast for 10-12 hours, and it's ok to start letting them cry for limited periods of time at that point, for one feeding at a time, and if you're sure their other needs are met. At 4 months, though, you can start helping your baby understand bedtime by making a very solid routine... bath whether s/he needs it or not, nursing or bottle, then a book or 2, maybe a song or 2, some rocking if your baby likes that. Start trying to put your baby in bed drowsy but awake. That's the best way to self-soothe. My daughter never had to cry it out and we did that.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Also, if your baby wakes up, instead of going straight in there, wait a few minutes and see if your baby will just grumble himself back to sleep. My daughter started doing that, too... I realized I was going in there before she even got to the crying part, but if I gave her a few minutes, some (but not all) times she would go back to sleep on her own. But at 4 months if your baby really amps it up, you should go in there.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Thanks EmilySusaan, obviously some people need to learn to read.
    Anonymous

• here's a quote from the book, "the No cry sleep solution"...He awakes in a mindless terror of the silence, the motionlessness. he screams. he is afire from head to foot with want, with desire, with intolerable impatience. he gasps for breath and screams until his head is filled and throbbing with the sound. he screams until his chest aches, until his throat is sore. he can bear the pain no more and his sobs weaken and subside. he listens. He opens and closes his fists. He rolls his head from side to side. Nothing helps. it is unbearable. He begins to cry again, but it is too much for his strained throat: he soon stops. He waves his hands and kicks his feet. he stops, able to suffer, unable to think, unable to hope. he listens. Then he falls asleep again...... You should check out the book...4 months seems a little young to CIO. I don't believe in it at all but thats so little...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am a firm believer in crying it out, but I think you should wait until the baby is about 6 months old.....Good Luck!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I have used CIO with both my boys. The oldest only took 2 nights of crying for 15 min (we went every 5) and then he was sleeping on his own all night. I noticed that he was not drinking a whole bottle in the middle of the night. Only an ounce or two and then he would fall back to sleep. To me that meant he was not hungry, he just wanted the comfort. He also was not waking up starving. When they wake up at night I go in there rub their back and tell them I love them and then leave the room. They almost always go right back to sleep. I would wait a few more months though. You can start a routine that will help them get into the habit of bedtime and that will help.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 4:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2009