• In the Spotlight:

Should he be checked?

My 7 week old babys belly button sticks out a lot especially in the middle. Someone told me it might be a hernia. What do you think? Should I have it checked? Someone else also told me he just has an outie.

amyrufft

Asked by amyrufft at 3:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I believe that is better to be safe than sorry. If it is nothing your doctor will understand.
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 3:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• A hernia would not be behind the belly button
    Anonymous

• You can call and talk to a nurse at your pediatrician's office who can suggest whether you should come in now or wait until your 2 month appointment.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• it could be a hernia of the umbilical cord though. we found out my daughter has one and shes 3, it just never healed all the way and stuff got stuck in and turned into a hernia and i just found out that is what it is. so i would have it looked at
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• To anon..yes, it could be a hernia of the umbilical cord. They would be right at the belly button.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• If it is a herniated belly button they will not do anything about it right (most likely). My first son had one and the doctor told us to just watch it and there were certain things that we had to watch first. His cleared up by the time he was 6 months old. It wouldn't hurt to have it checked just to make sure that is what it is. It's nothing to stress about right now though.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 4:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009