How can I stop my 6yr. old from wiggling in her seat

My 6yrs old daughter wiggles in her seat all the time. She has done this since she was a baby in her walker. I've asked a couple doctors about it and they said she would grow out of it. Well she's now in KG and it is causing a problem. When she wiggles she "zones out" and doesn't do her work. They are now wanting to put her in a "special chair" that will make her fall if she wiggles. Any suggestions please!

sandranethanmom

Asked by sandranethanmom at 3:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• does she have adhd? does she do it all the time? does she have to use the bathroom?
    Anonymous

• ino this sounds gross, but ive heard of it. is it her way of masterbating? like it feels good too wiggle the parts down there against the chair? i could be wrong ...its just something ive heard of.
    Anonymous

• Put her in a chair that makes her fall out when she wiggles? That sounds kind of cruel! Have you asked her why she does it? Try to stress to her that it isn't OK to do at school because it distracts her from work. And unless you find it really annoying/disturbing for her to do it at home, maybe just ignore it.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 6:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Has she been tested for ADD/ADHD? Make sure she has outlets to get rid of excessive energy. Sports that involve running, dancing, skating, bike riding, even karate (teaches self control too).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• In no way would I let them put my child in a chair that would make her fall if she wiggles. She could hit her mouth and break a tooth, bump her head or have a pencil in her hand and poke an eye on the way down... that's just nuts.
    If the dr thinks she'll still "grow out of it" and it's not ADHD, then maybe you should have him/her to re-evaluate to make sure there's no other problem if they don't think it's remotely possible it's ADHD, but in no way would I let them put my child in a "special" anything at school in the class with the other kids. I noticed one kid in particular who was put out in the hall really often and even tho it wasnt' mine, I felt really bad for him even tho he didn't seem to mind but there were some that would sit out there and cry (not sure if it's cause they were in trouble or being excluded).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:33 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Good idea from Mommydumdum about asking her. Ask her why she does it. Maybe she is itchy or hurts. If she doesn't know why she does it, get her checked by another doctor to rule out adhd. It does need to be solved, as the mom's above have also said, so she doesn't get singled out for punishment. When you get this solved, I wonder if you'd post a follow up so we know how she is?

Answer by Bmat at 2:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• She is a child and children wiggle. Look into Sensory Processing Disorder symptoms. Let her wiggle, she may be trying to force herself to pay attention BY wiggling. Good luck. Try to figure out her learning type.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:16 AM on Apr. 13, 2009