in the odds and ends...Does Madame Tussauds snub GOP first ladies?

After the fanfare surrounding first lady Michelle Obama's new wax figure at Madame Tussauds in downtown Washington Tuesday, we noticed something peculiar: No Republican first ladies have had the honor of being immortalized in wax at the museum.

Besides Mrs. Obama, the Tussauds inventory here includes a figure of Hillary Rodham Clinton and, not one, but two gloved and ladylike Jackie Kennedys.

But nary a Nancy Reagan, Betty Ford or Barbara or Laura Bush.

Odd isn't it. The museum says it's due to lack of requests. Really? B/c I seem to remember Laura Bush being a VERY popular first lady. Some even said SHE was a big part of Bush winning the 2nd term. Do you think this is pretty crappy? I wonder what the uproar would be if they left out other groups?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Interesting- but not surprising to say the least.

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 3:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• By the way- I must add, wax figures creep me out.

BEXi

• See, I found it interesting TOO! and odd.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Really? No explanation why or anything? weird.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Not shocking we live in a Liberal world and libs don't like Conservatives.
    Anonymous

• Or, one could say that Republican women don't care to be "immortalized" in wax. They're not into "adoring fans." They're comfortable and classy in their own right!
    Anonymous

• Some people have rally big egos that need stroking due to their insecurities and narcissism (flashy, celebrity types). Reserved (conservative) women don't crave the worship...hence no need to have a statue made of themselves.

It's like the Hollywood Walk of Fame, or Mann's Chinese Theater with the stars and hand prints. I used to think it was an honor, but later learned it is simply something ANY celebrity type can just BUY!!!

And I thought Madame Toussaud's wax figures take MONTHS to create?! Michelle really got busy having hers made!!! Must have taken an awful lot of wax...have you seen the size of her? lol

Where's Obama's?
    Anonymous

• So.... Tussaud is a lefty. Who woulda thunk it?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I think you are searching for a slight that doesn't exist. First, you don't get to request them to make one of you, they do it based on how many people want to see it. They have Obama, and they also have Reagan and Nixon. So what? They also have the Jonas Brothers.

It's a business. They are interested in making $$. They are not going to ignore somebody if they will make money off of it for a political statement! lol
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 5:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Boo hoo...Republican woman aren't in the wax museum.

blah blah blah....Who cares?
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2009