God Hates Fats

Here's a quirky little satire from the Daily Nebraskan:

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/opinion/citta-action-needed-against-gluttons-obese-people-1.1649987

...but it raises some interesting questions.

Is it a "sin" to be fat?

Is the sin of Gluttony any worse than other sins?

After reading this, have your views on Gay Rights and anti-GLBT Legislation changed in any way?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• MamaK88, I get your post. Thank you for posting it. Unfortunately, those who need to read this will not. I, myself, immediately saw the correlation between this post and the GLBT community. But there are still those who will see this, read it, and still not see that their anti-gay stance is just the same as the anti-fat post. They will not see that correlation because they are blind to the connection. They are blind to opening their minds and really studying the scripture they quote so frequently that is supposedly condemning homosexual relationships. Or you will get responses like have already been shown, that some have not opened their eyes to the true intention of the writing but simply taken offense by the title.
    Anonymous

• Here's a clickable link:  here

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Gluttony is one of the "seven deadly sins", but I would not go as far to say that "God hates Fats". That is an ignorant statement. The truth is, no one really knows what "God" likes and dislikes. All we know is what was written in the Bible and we are supposed to believe it word for word. I for one, do not think anyone is dammed to hell for being overweight or "fat". That is just ridiculous.
    Sitar21

Answer by Sitar21 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• This is a terrible, horrible, offense article.

I am obese. I am working my BUTT off to lose weight for my HEALTH NOT for my RELIGION. God loves me anyway - and with his help I WILL be healthy.

People who spew such poop from their keyboards really anger me.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• 1. God hates no one.
    2. It really kind of bothers me when people take little bits here and there from the bible and twist them into their own words.
    3. A big percentage of people aren't fat because of gluttony. It could be their metabolism, hereditary, or medical reasons for their being over weight.
    4. If someone wants to be a glutton, gay, murderer, thief, gambler, or any other type of sinner then let them. All we can do is pray for them. As a christian it is not our job to judge them. There is only one judge. When it comes time to vote for things then oppose them. Love everyone just as Jesus loved the prostitute. She was a sinner but yet he saved he from being stoned. Everyone has their choice of whether to sin or not.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• LMAO! I soooo hope this was satire...It couldn't have been real...I think its pointing out hypocrisy in what some Christians consider sins.

Why let one slip through when you can condem them all? LOL

ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I think the point here is that although the bible states gluttony as a sin most if not all turn a blind eye to that, but will fight like heck to protest gay rights. It SHOULD make everyone think a bit, but it won't, we'll just continue to read how offensive it is to say that God hates Fats....in fact, I don't think Fats should be allowed to marry either! (jk for those without a sense of humor...)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• 1- ALL one can do with the Bible is take what it says and interpret it. What do you think pastors, priests, preachers do? They give you the interpretation that they feel God gave them.

2- Yes, being fat is a sin.

3- Gays have a right to "sin" just like everyone else.

4- Considering the Bible is from a man in a man's day and age, I'll disregard it all and go with my gut. Gays should be allowed to live life as they see fit.
    SxdUpAngel

Answer by SxdUpAngel at 3:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• That has got to be a satire. The word scumpsious (in one form or the other) appeared way to many times for it not to be. I don't think God hates anyone. He doesn't even hate satan. Hate is not a part of God. Hate is a man made thing.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Whoa...The seven deadly sins are not in the bible...That come from the book Dante's Peak. That and the layers of hell, like pergatory. Not in the bible that everyone believes so whole heartedly.
    Anonymous