bullies vs. wimps

Would you rather you kid hit someone back if he was hit?
I know violence is wrong, but wouldn't you want you kid
to stand up for himself, let the other kid know he can't push
him around? What are your ideas?

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am a firm believer in being able to stand up for yourself. My kids have always been told never to start a fight and to never throw the first punch but if someone hits them then I want them to defend themselves.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I think it's wrong to teach your child to hit...period. I mean I know what you're saying and my mom taught me to to hit back but I just think there is too much of this crap going on nowadays and you can still teach your child to be of good character without teaching them to hit.
    Anonymous

• I will most likely teach my son to hit back. Im sorry but if someone comes up to my child, bullies him, and hits him, why shouldnt my sonhit him back? Self defense is perfectly acceptable.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 3:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I tell my kids do the 3 strikes
    1. they hit you tell teacher
    2. they hit again tell teacher again if teacher hasn't done anything by the 3rd. strike Punch the kid in his face and that's all folks.
    Where I live at there are many bullies and they get away with too much crap...
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I say my child needs to defend themselfs if they are being hit! end of story!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• growing up me & my brother weren't allowed to use words to fight my parents said 'if u r going to fight don't get blood on the carpet' my mom says we hurt each other more with words then fists (bruises heal heart wounds last forever) of course this backfired when I began fighting in school I remember my mom getting called in & she told me 'Michelle you know its not fair for you to fight girls!' lol I wasn't a bully but I didn't let people bully me either. we teach our son to 'shake it off' & if another kid is messin with him he knows we will take care of it (hes 2 now but I plan on teachin him the same thing as he gets older, he doesn't need to stoop to their level let the adults handle it or mama will)
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 3:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• i wish there was neither...but i wish my daughter would fight back in some way.maybe not physicaly but something.she got slapped and didnt do a thing.i tried to tell her that in rare instinces its ok to fight back.but she said no.there were girls on the bus that were teasing her friends.she said she didnt want to take the bus anymore cause it hurt her to much to see them being hurt.i am trying to teach her to be more aggressive but for some reason it isnt working..
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I have my son in jujitsu because it teaches self defense by submission. S instead of learning to hit back, he is learning to place an attacker safely in submission, while controlling gis emotions.

my opinion is that every child should take some forn of martial arts.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2009