• In the Spotlight:

when did you start your baby on solids?

my lil man just turned 4 mos, he is 18lbs, and e.breast feed. he has just started wanting to eat every 2hours or earlier now, and he was sleeping 7-9 hours now he only sleeps 2-5 hours strait. do you think this is a sign hes ready for food? first time mom and nervous. when did you start? and what are the sighns?

mrsaustin271

Asked by mrsaustin271 at 3:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• a little after 4 months at my pedi's advice. my DD was making eating motions whenever she saw someone eating & following our food to our mouths. is your son interested in what your eating? these are all signs.

the easiest food to start w/ is rice cereal. you can make it really liquidy at first & then thicken it as your son gets use to eating it. if your son hasnt already had his 4 month check up, ask his dr about starting solids.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• 4 months or so. Try something easy like applesauce, wait a week, then try another kind, wait a week, try another and so on... waiting a few days to a week will help rule out any allergies if he happens to have any.

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 3:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• docs n evry1 tld me not to giv kids solids till 4 mos but im stubborn..my daughter wouldnt sleep hardly..she wanted to eat evry hour (breastfed)..so i started giving her cereal at night n a bottle with the nipple cut a lil bit bigger,when she was 3 weeks old!she now sleeps 4 5 or 6 hours at a time n shes 4 weeks old..i also have a sone 16 mo. n i started giving him baby food at about 2 mos or so..so i think it is safe to give him cereal now andbaby food as well!
    mommydabbs

Answer by mommydabbs at 4:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I always find it a shame that babies get fed before 6 months, there are some cases where it is needed, like reflux, but beyond that they don't need it, I wait until mine have a real interest in it, usually when they try to steal my food from me. It's possible the reason your baby is wanting more is cause he is the perfect age for a growth spurt, and just needing the extra calories...for the moment. I would honestly talk to your ped and see what he/she has to say before you decide, also if thier is a history of any food allergies it is recommended that you wait to introduce a lot of foods until over a year old.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:29 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• that could just indicate a change in sleeping patterns (due to a growth spurt...etc), not necessarily a readiness in solids. the good age to start solids is around 6 m/o (when I started my son), because at that age babies can hold their head up, and can sit with little to no support. plus their digestive system is more advanced and the juices can handle certain solid foods. not only showing an interest in what you're eating, but if he has an increased appetite and your milk alone doesnt satisfy him, you can offer solids, but ask the dr. first! I started my son with mashed bananas mixed with my breastmilk. and at first you only need to offer 1 tablespoon of food once a day, preferably in the morning so you have the day to watch for allergic reactions. and before age 1, solids are only for practice, getting them used to other tastes, textures, and tests for food allergies. it is just empty calories!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months. Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date. Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).  Details at http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2009