Are there any moms here with a child that is in Afghanistan?

I'm curious to know what kind of things that we as family and friends can send to them when we want to send out packages.

Ronette43

Asked by Ronette43 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• my child isn't my DH is in bahrain, my brother is in Iraq. you can send: snack foods (nothing that will melt, b/c then it gets all over everything else), games (cards, board games that kind of thing), fun cheap dollar store stuff like a nerf football or water guns stuff they can do to goof off, socks, shirts, underwear if they don't have access to a store often, same goes for: shampoo, sunblock, baby wipes, other toilitries (put these in a big ziplock in case the bottle busts), cds, dvds, that kind of thing, baked goods (wrap them in saran wrap, then into a ziploc bag, then into a disposable ziploc container they stay fresh longer that way), pictures, spices they miss from home
    do not send, alcohol, pornography (some commands consider maxim magazine pornagraphy so be careful with magazines), anything in aerosol containers...and always insure what you send in case it doesn't get there. CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• CONT.. or in case someone else decides that want what is in it (you have to fill out a customs form that says what is in it, be vague say snacks, tolitries etc the post office will tell you if what you wrote isnt good enough but that way you dont write out every little thing and you dont have to write dvd/cd tittles in case some crazy person wants that cd/dvd)....do themed packages, like summer theme, spring theme, 4th of july theme etc...do a google search for care packages and you can get plenty of ideas there and more lists of what not to send, hope that helps a little bit
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Those are all great ideas vabchmommy. My hubby spent a summer in Afghanistan and will probably go back soon, and they definitely need those things. Doing the themed packages is awesome too. Like we did a Father's Day themed one for my hubby when he was there. Right now, I would start sending spring and summer stuff, and maybe next month I would start sending 4th of July themed items.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• bbmn ,kii
    mmtosam06

Answer by mmtosam06 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• ..,;;

mmtosam06

Answer by mmtosam06 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am the wife of a squadron commander, we send packages all the time. Before you send anything try to talk to a family support person from the squadron/unit/base. Or talk to your child. Some of our people are at locations that now have a BX type facility where they can get basics. We send them other stuff. Other locations need anything they can get their hands on!

Here are some ideas our family support has done:
    pillowcases-we turned family pics into iron on transfers and put them on the pillowcases
    puzzles-we had a family pic blown up and we glued them to cardboard. A local printer cut them into puzzle pieces for us for free.

Our biggest hits have been ketchup, Louisiana hot sauce and the puzzles.

A caution, be very careful with magazines. We had some confiscate because of the "olay ribbon body wash" ads. Well, it was a naked lady wrapped in a ribbon.....

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2009