Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Niece living in filth and mom is horrible, what to do?

I'm torn over what to do about my niece. She lives with her mom and it's a bad arrangement. There are 3 kids, the mom, and her boyfriend in a 2 bedroom trailer. The 2 boys (13 and 8) sleep in the same room as my 10 year old niece (this kind of worries me). They sleep on bunk beds and my niece sleeps on the floor. The house is complete filthy and nasty, I can't believe anyone could live like that. The mom and boyfriend smoke in the house and car with the kids and I've seen burns in my niece's clothes. Also, the other weekend my brother took her home and noone was there. He called the mom and she said to just leave the daughter there, they'll be home soon. Of course my brother wasn't about to do that, she's 10. My brother is worried his daughter will hate him if he gets her mom in trouble. What can I do for this poor girl (and her brothers), will cps or her school do anything to help? Any suggestions?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

Answers (15)
  • Call CPS. They will investigate.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • CPS wouldnt like that situation AT ALL.. First- she doesnt have a bed to sleep on, CPS REQUIRES for all children to have a bed. The living conditions are nasty, and the smoking thing- idk.. here its only illegal to smoke in the car with a child who is 6 and under.

    I would place an anonymous call, or get your brother to take her to court for custody.


    Answer by BEXi at 3:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • If you call CPS, they will at least go check things out, but they might not do anything.....I think that I would rather call and be ignored, than not call at all. What if something happens? At least you would know that you did what you could. You can always call anonomously so they won't know it was you....but you gotta call!!

    Answer by christyg at 3:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • If you really believe she is in danger or that there is mental/emotional/or physical harm being done to her than you should call CPS. They will do an investigation...look at her home life, surroundings, health issues, etc. and make their own decision as to if she or the other children should be removed from the home.

    Answer by Ash9724 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • Why doesnt your brother fight for custody anyway OP? Do they have joint custody? He really needs to get sole custody for her if hes truly concerned about her home life.


    Answer by BEXi at 4:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • My brother tried to get custody years ago but he didn't get it only because he didn't have children at the time and the mom had 1 son, so they put her with the sibling. Now my niece says she has to take care of mom so she won't move to my brother's home. I am worried about cps taking the children from the home. Would they consider that for these reason? All 3 kids have different fathers and my brother is the only one around. He sees his daughter every other weekend, holidays, summer, etc. I am afraid if they did remove the children the boys would go to foster care as they have nowhere to go. My niece would be devistated if that happened and probably hate me for it. She is suffering from all of this, she doesn't hardly talk to anyone. My brother also asked her teacher one time if his daughter came to school dirty and the teacher said it's hit and miss. I want to protect her but not break her heart.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • Tell the dad to fight for custody. His daughter is in an unsafe situation. She doesn't have a bed and sleeps in a room with older boys. In Wisconsin it is illegal for kids of opposite sex to share a room once the oldest turns 6. If he won't get an attorney and fight for his child then call CPS and haave her removed. Your niece will get over the anger once she sees what a safe and proper home is supposed to look like. I would do ANYTHING I needed if either of my nieces were in that situation.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • Your brother is prepared to take custody of his daughter? If I was your brother I dont know if I would bring her back to that situation.

    Answer by mistynights234 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • i have to says something on this one .Have you seen the house ,or is your brother telling you it is messy....because you shouldn't call if some else is saying it is messy , but if you seen it then you should call the police for a well check because cps has 3 working day. now on the other thing you said about the boys going in foster care. what is wrong with them going to a foster home. you said there home is unsafe ..... im sorry it just bugs me when people down foster care . yes i am a foster mom and i can tell you that there are good foster home and there are bad homes the prom. is you only here about the bad homes. just to enliten every one foster family do not foster for the money WE get .$15.00 a day. and a clothing stipin for $145.00 a year and the children come with nothing . twice a week we get to drive 70 miles away for a hour visit with the pranets that don't show up half the time .

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

  • if it was for the money we wouldn't be called foster families we would be call babysitters be cause trust me babysitter get paid a lot more and don't have the kids 24/7 ... in my home you couldn't tell me which child is a foster child.or my bio. so if you think they are being abused then yes call someone .... but please change your thinking on foster families we are not all bad . in the last year how many bad foster homes did you hear about now in the last year how many bad bio families did you hear about .

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.