What can you do to soothe a cough?!

I have this cough that will not go away! It's like everytime I breathe it makes me cough! I have taken Robitussin DM Max, cough drops, a decongestant, an antihistamine, and vapor rub (not necessarily all at the same time), but nothing helps! I will be doubled over coughing. I plan to go to the dr this weekend, but I need something to work until then! I'm not pregnant and not really allergic to any medicines that I know of.

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 4:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Health

• A cold mist humidifier helps because it moistens the air.

Delsym Cough Syrup helps too.
    Anonymous

• • Breathe the steam from a vaporizer, hot shower, or pan of boiling water. The moist air will soothe the airways and loosen sinus congestion and phlegm in your throat and lungs. A few drops of the oil of eucalyptus will help this process.

• Elevate the head of your bed. This will allow your sinuses and nasal passages to drain better and not create that "tickle" in your throat.

• Stop smoking. Passive smoke or other irritants, such as chemicals, can be a cause. Household cleaners, new carpeting, paneling and mattresses are some of the many possible sources of chemical irritants.

• Drink at least 8 eight ounce glasses of water. This is especially important if your cough is due to an illness. Water is the best expectorant you can take and will help thin the mucus and loosen the cough.

• Do not use over-the-counter expectorant cough remedies as they just suppress the symptoms and do not address the proble
    peggy353

Answer by peggy353 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Try hot tea with honey. I tend to get bronchitis if I don't treat a cold so I end up at the doctors getting a presciption for cough medicine that has codeine in it. The only thing that works when I get bronchitis. I also have to use an inhaler due to asthma. I elevate my head, take hot and steamy showers, stay away from milk or dairy problems because it increases phlegm. I have heard Dylsum works good to suppress coughs and that may all you need to do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2009