pro-life

I am curious about something. I have always disliked the labels pro-life and pro-choice. I feel like the topic is way to complex for two simple labels. I guess I would consider myself pro-choice because I don't feel like I should be allowed to make that kind of decision for anyone.

My question is this. If you consider yourself pro-life with the exception of rap or incest (like many do), why do you feel like you have the ability to decide every other situation. I am sure every women who wants an abortion is in a different situation. Why do you feel like a women has a choice only if she is raped or a victim of incest? Why do you feel like these are the only situations that warrant an abortion? What about abusive relationships or other bad situations? Do you feel like you can make a broad decision for everyone without knowing everyone?

Not trying to start a debate. I am simply just curious.

jcsscfam5

Asked by jcsscfam5 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I answered this in the other section (P&CE), but I'll state it again here -

I personally don't believe in abortion for any reason.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I agree about the labels, its not so cut and dry, I would never get an abortion, but yet, I am pro-choice. Not getting an abortion is MY choice. My peeve is that many pro-lifers consider all pro-choicers as being pro-abortion and its just not the case.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• well i am pro-choice i think it is each woman's personal choice. personally i would not have one but every situation is different so i can't speak for or judge a different woman her choices
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:08 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am pro-choice, I feel I have no right to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do, I was pregnant at 15 and my mom tried so hard to make me have an abortion, I personally couldn't. She went as far as to set up the apt., rent a car and booked the hotel for me and my then boyfriend, whom is my husband now by the way. We have been together for 18 years, have 3 great kids and I would not change a thing. Others might not be as lucky, I have no right to take their choice away.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am pro-life because for most women I believe the choice is when she decided to have sex.
    Lexi.Mommy

Answer by Lexi.Mommy at 4:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am with the previous posters. I am pro-choice. I know there are situations that come up that are personal and private to the woman and I don't believe it is my decision to say that she cannot have an abortion because she doesn't fit into a predetermined category. I cannot say I would never have an abortion as my life is not over yet and I am still of childbearing age. There are too many "what if's" in life to use the word never.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 4:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am a pro-choicer, but I would never have an abortion. It's not for me. But it is also not for me to decide what is right for my neighbor. And if we were to stop abortions, can you imagine how many more children there would be in foster care? The system is alreasy overloaded with children that were removed/left by women who didn't want/ couldn't handle the responsibility. Now add in all the others that could be there if abortions didn't happen. And adoption isn't an answer either. If it were, we wouldn't have the over crowded foster system like we have now. I have a friend who's mom adopted him and four of his siblings after she had fostered them for a while. She has two of her own. She is a wonderful mom to them and an amazing lady.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am pro-choice... BUT, I think there should be some limits. I feel that if a life is in danger abortion should be an option. Or if the child is infected with a dibilitating and ultamately deadly illness such as Tay-Sachs abortion should be an option. I also feel that if the child is disfigured or is injured to the point that it will not allow them to live a full life that abortion should be an option. I do NOT however feel that it should be the first option nor do I feel that it should be able to be used as a form of BC. In cases of Rape, Insest or worse I don't feel that I could make that disition for anyone else. For many of those children lead normal healthy lives while others are raised by a hateful and abusive parent and thus grow up to be no better than the evil that sired them. So, I feel that abortion should be an option.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:29 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• cont...
    Abortion however should not be the first or only option. I feel that anyone applying for abortion needs to be educated on the options. If it's a case of rape or insest where there is no aparent damage to the child (malformations or disease) other options should be and need to be explored.

In cases where the child or the mother is already facing death, there are not always other options. And I feel this is sad.

To me being Pro-Choice is a number of things rolled in to one. I am Pro-Choice, I am also Pro-BC, Pro-Sex Ed, Pro-Alternative Options and Pro-Freedom... The one thing I am not is Pro-Abortion... I agree that that baby is a baby and innocent. Personally I will not even use an IUD because to me it forces the body to abort. However, I think that only I as a woman have the right to make those disitions about MY BODY!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:34 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My Body, My CHOICE...the end.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2009