Why does it take so long to get approved?

When applying for health insurance, why does it take so long to get a child approved. Like a 9 month old. They said it can take from 4-6 weeks. I'm like hello, it is a child, and a healthy one, why should it take so long. Not if the child had medical problems that required special underwriting issurs, i can see it, but for a healthy child or person, why does it take so long. Anyone work in insurance and know the reason?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• because your child is healthy, there is no urgency! your 9 month old wouldn't need to be seen by a doctor again until they are 1 year old...by then you'll have your insurance.
    Anonymous

• anon, you never know when a child will get sick. Just because a child isn't due to go back to a doctor isn't any reason to think there application is anyl ess important and drag it out. But i think they also take that long an a child even if much younger. I would think they would want to start collecting money so they would tyr to get the approval done.
    Anonymous

• I work with the car end of insurance, but I can tell you this about insurance companies as a whole - it's because they don't care. They flat out deal with too many applications, too many people, to care about an individual case. I turned my application for Medicaid in back on January 6th. I have STILL not gotten a response as to whether I'm approved or not (and you bet your bottom I've been calling them to check on it quite often.)
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 4:17 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• OP--some day you'll understand how the world works, and trust me just because YOU see the urgency in something, doesn't mean others share your same degree of urgency--that's called bureaucracy!

If your child gets sick in the next 4-6 weeks, and after exhausting common sense and over the counter infant medications, then you would take your child to the emergency room--they can not deny you access to a doctor because you have no insurance.  Feel better?

Another point to realize is why do you think an Obstetrican does not see you for a pregnancy confimration/first appointment (after you've done a home test or two), until you are approximately 9-12 weeks along? Answer: because that is the time in which most pregnancies will fail (miscarriage), and doctor's cannot devote all of their time to potential miscarriages.  It is reality--whether you agree with it or not.

Anonymous