Do prenatal vitamins cause constipation?

I am on Prenate with DHA and I have noticed a change in how often I go to the restroom. I know hormones during pregnancy make your intestines "sleep" more but I didn't know if the vitamins were the cause for this.

Thanks.

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes! It sucks! LOL! I thinks its cause of the iron. But yes, for sure. Ask your doctor about getting stool softeners and drink tons of water.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 4:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• It certainly does:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/prenatal-vitamins/PR00160
    Anonymous

• i think they do, they also make me sick to my stomach...if you cut them in half and take one in the a.m and one at night before bed its not as bad
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I have the softgels to take. They are not hard on my stomach and my doc has tons of samples. However, it would have been nice if she had said "These vitamins get you ready for labor girl!"

I'm on my 2nd week of vitamins and I swear I'm ready to name something when I get out of the bathroom cuz I push so hard. I'd like to hear some cheering on the other side of the stall. Let me know I'm doing a good job. Damn!
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 4:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• LOL! You should read Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy. She talks about that, and it is so hilarious! I feel your pain! Trust me!
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 4:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2009