Do you think having siblings is an important part of being raised?

I am a mother of an only child, my daughter. She is the love of my life, but I can't help but feel like I HAVE to have another child so she has that growing up experience. I have siblings, and it's nice to have that friendship and someone to look up to and model after. Do you think it is important to have more than one child and why??

Sitar21

Asked by Sitar21 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son is currently 8 months and of course the discussion of having another comes up. I mean I know the importance of having siblings. I have only one sister and even though she is my half sister, I love her more than anything in the entire world. Even though she is still young and going through her teenage years, I know when she really needs someone to turn to she comes to me. I want my son to have that amazing relationship with his sibling/s. My hubby also has 2 brother and a sister, and I know how close they all are. I want my son tohave that too!
    NickysMomma888

Answer by NickysMomma888 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I do, just because I know how much I value my siblings, and always have. It's just so nice to have that relationship. Friends come and go, siblings are FOREVER. It's comforting to know they always love you for you.
    I only have 1 daughter too, and I am looking forward to giving her a couple siblings! :)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 4:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I want to...It's difficult to afford the one I have. With daycare and everyday expenses...
    Sitar21

Answer by Sitar21 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I would have loved to had a sibling for my daughter who is now 11. She does not like being an only child. She gets lonely sometimes and I feel for her. We try to have a friend, cousin or neighbor to come over & play whenever possible. I just couldn't have anymore. My biological clock stopped ticking. I would definitely have one if I could.
    madsmom11597

Answer by madsmom11597 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I do. I grew up with a brother and sister and had so much fun. I knew a few friends who were only children...they always said they were lonely growing up and how they wished they had siblings. Its lonely in a house full of adults!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I think it's important. My son is 8 years older than my middle daughter. Even with that age gap, they are very close. They even fight, which I thought they wouldn't.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2009