taking baths after giving birth...

I read to wait two weeks until you take a bath after giving birth vaginally. Is it true that you need to wait?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't wait that long. The doctor didn't give me any instructions specifically regarding a bath.
    armywife1229

Answer by armywife1229 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• No, that is not the case anymore. Unless you have stitches. In that case consult your doc...
    Elysia4999

Answer by Elysia4999 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• the doctor usually will tell you whats best, depending on how well you heal! since your body is all out of whack and has higher risk for infection after all the labor it went through, it's best to wait a while before having a bath!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I have heard the reason is because your cervix is still slightly open and you dont want bath water up in there. but I dont know how much truth there is to it. Just make srure the tub is really clean.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• If you want a bath, take a bath. This advice to avoid baths was common in the 1960s but was abandoned when it was shown that there was zero connection to infections. Any dr who is still suggesting this is giving out information that has been known to be inaccurate for half a century.

It is not only safe, it can be beneficial! Many women find soaking in postpartum baths to be very soothing for achy muscles and sore bottoms - you can even put certain herbs in the water to increase healing and comfort. Always check the safety of herbs and proper usage, but commonly used ones for after birth soaks (safe for mama and baby) are comfrey, uva ursi, shepherd's purse, and rosemary.

Baths might cause sutures to dissolve too quickly, so talk to your Dr or MW about any aftercare if you have stitches... other than that, go for it!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2009