Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can i move out of state with my son?

he is 3 years old and his father is in prison. we were never married and he has been there since we found out i was pregnant. i had to file for child support to get help from the state. and now i guess he wants a dna test but he knows its his son, i think he is doing it cause then i wont be able to move out of florida but he has known for three months. can he do anything like that so i cant move?

Answer Question

Asked by krstqt123 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 2 (10 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Talk to CPS or an attorney.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • I donty think so, not from prison at least. After he gets out he can get an attorney and file not to let you, but that isnt going to happen from prison.

    Answer by AK_aries at 4:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • If he is the father, then he has rights but Im sure they are limited due to the situation. I don't think he can do anything about you moving out of state. All depends on how long he has been in prison and how long he still has. They will also consider if the father has had any contact with the child while in prison. If you have taken the child to visit him, the courts will take that into consideration on his part. If he has had no cantact and is going to be there for a long time then, I think the court would be questioning his motive for not wanting you to move.

    Answer by mom_wrhsc at 4:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • Do you have a parenting plan? Or, is he on the birth certificate?

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • If he isn't on the birth certificate and you have yet to do a paternity test...then the child is just yours to move as you please.

    Answer by MomShawn70 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.