Inducing.....

So I'm right at 40 weeks .....my doctor wants to induce me at 41 weeks if my bundle of joy isn't here by then. Should I be induced if my baby isn't here by then. I mean I've dilated I'm effaced cervix is soft....I am just wondering what your ladies opinions are.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it is up to you, it sounds like you are going to go on your own just fine, an induction is alot harder than natural labor and the contractions are 20 times worse, so if I were you I would ask to wait, or demand to wait, as long as the baby and youare okay. But it is a personal decision, so do your research too.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• they induced me a week early because they were scared i wouldnt be able to deliver the baby if they didnt so if the doc mentions it im sure there is a reason...i have a small pelvis....so idk i would listen to he doc if theres a reason ....i would find out if there was a reason for wanting to induce
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Sure, why not?? I was induced, and I prefer it. Your whole labor will be in a controlled enviroment.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 4:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Inducing is not as bad as some of these women say. I was induced with my last two and now that im preg with my 3rd my dr is inducing me the first week of may. I personally think that being induced is much easier cause as soon as they start the process of inducing you can get an epi if you want and just be relaxed till you give birth. And if for some big reason your baby can't come out vaginally you will already be ready for a c-section. So just relax and just know that weather you go on your own or get induced you will be able to see your baby soon:) GL
    Anonymous

• Personally, considering the risks of induction versus the risks of going another week, I'd probably wait until I was 42 weeks to allow an induction. "Full term" is 38 to 42 weeks, not 38 to 40 weeks - so you're not overdue yet. My 2nd baby came on her own, 10 days after her due date, healthy and fine. I was uncomfortable and impatient those last couple weeks, but I am so glad that I didn't rush her out before she was ready. For whatever reason, some babies are ready before their due date, and some babies need an extra week or two in the womb.

Some scientists believe that there is a hormone that the baby uses to signal the mother's body to begin the process of labor; without that chemical sign that the baby is ready, labor doesn't begin. With that signal, the mother's body realizes the baby is ready to be born and the changes of labor begin. This is a delicate balance that IMO shouldn't be altered unless it's an emergency.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I was induced, and I don't recommend it. Let your body do it naturally, if there is no concern for the health of your baby or yourself. My induction went no where, they said if i didn't dilate they would send me home, they didn't b/c the doctor came in and broke my water so i couldnt go home. They manually dilated me to 2 centimeters, in the end I ended up having an emergency csection because the baby's heartbeat was not well... after the csection my baby was not responsive and it was scary. Now pregnant with number two im going to have another csection they dont do vbac. Im not trying to scare you, just sharing my experience... other people i know had a induction and all went well... just talk it over with your doctor before hand.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't. Induction increase your risk of a cesarean, uterine rupture, hemmorage, baby going into distress, etc. You may be in a *controlled* environment but it's YOUR birth, YOU are suppose to be in control, not doctors and nurses monitoring the crap out of you, telling you how to push, how to lay, etc.

I was induced and had a healthy baby. So it wasn't *bad* but I regret it. It's a lot healthier to let the baby come naturally, barring medical issues. I wouldn't consider an induction at all, especially not before 42 weeks and only after 42 weeks if there was an issue with my placenta, or the baby showed signs of issues.

Just because your doctor *mentioned* it doesn't mean there's a reason for it, it means your doctor is impatient lol. Mine was, and he used a medical issue to get me to induce. I definitely didn't need the induction.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• they induced me at 38 1/2 weeks and my baby was fine i think its actually better to be induced because you dont have to wait for the pain to actually begin you pretty much know when your induced
    haydns_mommy

Answer by haydns_mommy at 5:34 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• It's up to you. I've had two inductions, and they were both rough. Once they start the meds, hold on tight, cuz, it's gonna come on heavy and strong. I am planning on "waiting it out" this time. I may be looking at a 45 week pregnancy, but I want that "it's time" feeling.

If you are planning on delivering with no pain meds or epidural, I'm pretty sure being induced would ruin the event for you. It makes labor progress unnaturally fast, so the pain is that much more intense. Talk the pros and cons over with your Dr. If you want to wait it out, just say so, and they should let you go a few weeks late!
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 6:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2009