Christians, do you think that is possible to be a Christian and be Pro-Choice (Not Pro-Abortion)?

I am a Christian and I am Pro-choice and I just secretly wonder what other Christians would think of me if they knew this. It doesn't matter what you say to me about my own spirituality or relationship with God because that is between he and I. I just don't think that anyone should be able to tell a woman what she can do with her body when you don't know what circumstances led up to her getting pregnant. I'm not saying that I am ALL FOR ABORTION because God knows that I love my baby dearly and if I were to get pregnant again I would not have an abortion but I'm just saying this is what I believe when it comes to other women's bodies. I know that there are going to be those of you who are going to bash me for asking this and say that I am going to burn in hell and what not, which is why I posted anonymously but I would still like to read your thoughts so please tell me what you think about this. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with you. I don't really worry about what other women do with their bodies. It's not my concern or anybody elses. Let them decide.
    Sitar21

Answer by Sitar21 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Its not for me to judge that is between you and GOd i would pray and ask God to show you the truth!!!! But the bible talks about do not kill. So talk to GOd and let him show you the way!!!
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Gee. I sure hope it is possible..I am a christian and pro-choice. I don't have to stand in front of God at judgement day for those people who have them or perform them. I do not want to see back alleys, rusty knives and tables, knitting needles, lye douches...or any of the other horrific things women did before they were legal. Legal and Moral are two different things.
    Anonymous

• hinson7169, Yes and the Bible also talks about a whole lot of other things that we still ALL do on a daily basis that are still SIN, no matter how you look at it. We sin daily. Blaspheme of the Holy spirit is the only unpardonable sin though. I know that thou shalt not kill but this is about my belief that no one should be able to tell a woman what she can do with her body because when it comes down to it. That is between that woman and God and He is the ONLY ONE that can judge that woman.
    -OP
    Anonymous

• I'm a Christian and I'm Pro-Choice. I am 100% against abortion and would never even consider it for myself, but I don't have any right to tell anyone else what to do. It's not my place to judge anyone. However, I will make my views known, that I am against abortion and if anyone wants help or advice I'll gladly point them in the direction of adoption.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 5:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am a Christian and I am Pro-Choice. What I choose for myself and what I instill in my daughter is up to me, as for everyone else, they have to make their own choices.
    MichiMomma

Answer by MichiMomma at 5:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am not trying to judge you, I am just thinking about your question. You say that you do not believe abortion is right but you don't think you should tell someone else not to do it. Like it isn't your place to get involved. I was kinda thinking what that would be like.

I really believe that abortion is killing a living person. Some people don't agree. But I kinda look at my right to being pro-life is standing up for the life of a person who can't stand up for themselves.

If I personally would say I am pro-choice, even though I think it is killing it would be like me saying that I wouldn't do what Hitler did, but who am I to say that he shouldn't have. I think I should say that he shouldn't have done that.

A Biblical example, Moses stepped in when he saw the Egyptian task master beating the Hebrew slave. He could have easily said, "I wouldn't beat a slave, but who am I to tell this guy not to?"
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I don't think that Abortion is all black and white like so many would have you think. Being Christian has nothing to do with being Pro or Anti Choice. Being Pro or Anti Choice is just that. Are you willing to live in a country where the government is allowed to tell someone (woman or not) that they can or can't have a sergery. In the eyes of the medical community abortion is a medical procedure. Should the government have the right to tell someone what they can and can't do with their own body? I am pro-Choice (although not christian) however I am not pro-abortion. I don't feel that anyone should have rule over my body but me!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I believe that people should be able to have freedom of choice in all sorts of things, but when my choice takes away someone elses life it is wrong.

If I would have gotten pregnant in HS, I would have wanted an abortion. I didn't feel back then the way I do now. It would have been a huge mistake for me. I have soooooo many close friends who are torn up because of this choice. God has forgiven them, of course, but they had no clue what they were doing or how they would feel about it afterward.

I think some women have no support and no idea what to do. I think we need to work harder to provide other types of assistance and education so that we make abortion unnecessary. That is why I am involved with a local care center for women who are pregnant.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My reasons for being pro-life have nothing to do with religion, although I tend to be a religious person, so I could see how someone could also be religious and pro-choice, because, to me, it doesn't have to be a religious issue.
    I also don't feel that someone should believe or feel as though they have to agree with something just because its what they think/are told is expected of them as a Christian. You have to believe what makes sense to you, what feels right to you.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2009