Any other ladies pregnant and plan on NOT getting an epidural?

Is this your first and what is the reason behind your decision?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am having a 100 percent drug free home birth. Epidural, or any pain meds wont be an option. If I go into labor before 36 weeks, and have to go to the hospital, drugs still wont be an option.

Why? Because birth is a natural normal process. It doesn't have to painful, miserable, or anything negative. Drug free is safer for both mother and the baby. I regret allowing my ob to control my first birth, so this time I am taking charge and making it the best experience it can be. I ended up caving and getting 1/2 a dose of nubain.. it worked for a short time so 11 hours of my 11 1/2 hour induction was drug free, and could feel everything, and I love that memory. There wasn't much pain before the OB broke my water *without asking* and pushing completely drug free was awesome. I loved being in control.. yes I ignored the nurse when she said push, I pushed when my body said to! It was great!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:15 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am not pregnant, but, when I was pregnant with my son 13 years ago I didn't want, nor did I recieve any medication. I was 19 and they tried to coerce me into it, but, I didn't want it at all because I didn't want to be numb and I didn't want my baby to have side effects. I had a 100% natural birth and it was fine. It did hurt, but, I knew it was better for us both to do it that way.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I tried to get one, but it didn't work. Sorry to say, but it was so painful not having anything!!
    Anonymous

• I had my first 2 natural. My third I did get an epi and it killed! the dr hit my bone and bruised it. I don't care what happens I will never again get another epi. The pain in my back lasted for about 2 months. Plus a friend of a friend got one and became paralized from the waist down. I figure I did it twice so I can do it again. Plus womeen have been having babies since the start of time and didn't always have pain meds.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 5:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• If I had a choice I would definitely not have an epi or any drugs. I didn't even take pain killers when I tore the tendons in my ankle and calf. I've just believe it is overall better for the baby and the mom. Unfortunately I have to have a c-section for medical reasons so i don't have a choice on being numbed :( All the support to those of you opting to be in control ^_^
    Tigress0717

Answer by Tigress0717 at 7:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I already have one child who was born drug free 7 1/2 years ago. I remember the pain, but have no desire to have any pain medication this time around either. I just don't think it's for me.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 7:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2009