• In the Spotlight:

how to be a good stay at home mom

i have been recently laid off and have decided to stay home with my 5 and 3 year old until they go to school. My question is what do we do during the day. What do they need to learn how much free time should they have? How much should I play with them? Please don't be mean I have never stayed at home full time and I want to make srue my children get the best. Some ideas on what you do everyday. How much time should be devoted to them without distractions, is it okay to talk on the phone for 20 minutes with my mom? Can I use my computer to check e-mail while they are awake and still be a hands on parent? any help would be great

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm a SAHM and I try to get my kids to the park a few times a week so they can socialize with other kids and burn some of their energy off, and of course you can talk on the phone or check your email..its not gonna make you a bad mom..
    FL_Mommy_2

Answer by FL_Mommy_2 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I've been a sahm for 8 years, since the oldest was 1. How much time I spent with them depended on the individual child. I didn't ignore them by any means. But my oldest always wanted to play with me. So we'd play together. Reading a book, singing and dancing, coloring whatever she wanted. The middle child has always prefered to be left alone. No matter how hard I tried to get her to join us or play with just one of us she refused and would go do her own thing. At 7 she is still like that. The youngest depends on the day. Sometimes she wants to be with me 24/7 other days she wants left alone with her crayons. I just kind of took it a day at a time and went with what they wanted at the moment for the most part.
    Anonymous

• * Look for a playgroup in your area. It will get them out of the house plus the interaction will be good for them and you.

* Take them to storytime at your local public library and check out books.

* Search online for educational and fun activities to do with them.

The list goes on and on...Enjoy your time with them!
    Anonymous

• I'm a SAHM and I rarely actually sit down and play with my kids. I will help them get interested in an activity and then let them play on their own. 3-5 year olds learn a lot through play and daily activities. (sorting laundry, picking out apples at the market- how many? what color etc. setting the table, cooking together-there is more measuring counting, reading the recipe etc.)

Take them to the park, go for walks. Make playdough together etc.

I do sit down an read to my kids a lot. This is the BEST thing you can do to prepare them for school!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2009