My 25 month old daughter pees in her undies and will NOT use the potty. HELP!!!

I am trying to potty train my 2 year old daughter but she throws the biggest tantrums when I try to take her to the potty. She tells me that she wants regualr underwear and that she understands taht she needs to potty in her toilet but everytime I take her (every 30-40 mintues) she has a fit...Any ideas on what could be a good way to get her on the potty? My hsuband wants to force her to sit on it but I just think that will scare her away..

sxc_mami1

Asked by sxc_mami1 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you don't want to force her..it will make it worse..maybe shes not ready yet..let her give you the signs that shes ready and wants to do it
    FL_Mommy_2

Answer by FL_Mommy_2 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Don't force the issue. Positive reinforcement is the best policy. She probably just isn't ready.
    Sitar21

Answer by Sitar21 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• She probably just isnt ready. My daughter just turned 3 last week and just started pooping in the potty last month.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 5:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Don't force. I guarantee you it will backfire on you. 25 months is still young. She may not be ready. Since you've already started though it will cause more confusion to stop now. Does she like stickers? M&Ms? Make a sticker chart. Everytime she goes in the potty she gets a sticker or an M&M..or whatever. Positive reinforcement is the only way to go. Spanking, forcing, yelling at a child for potty problems does nothing but make it worse. Make a big deal, praise, praise, praise.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:35 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I would wait a month or two and then try again.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• She may not be ready. Don't force her. She'll do it when she's ready. Forcing her to will just make her apprehensive. She'll do alot better if you let her do it when she's ready. Just tell her she can't wear big girl panties till she decides to potty like a big girl. Then let her decide. You'll be happy you did. Then it won't be a battle. It should be a positive experience for her, even if she's not ready till she's three.
    1daughter5sons

Answer by 1daughter5sons at 7:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I kjnow that this sounds kind of wierd but I had the same problem. I stayed home for one weekend and had a nude weekend. She ran around with no underware on or a diaper. She finally got sick and tired of peeing on herself. I think you are doing the right thing about putting her into underware but maybe she needs just a little more of a push. You need to take her in the bathroom when you go and teach her that the potty will not hurt her. Yes, this weekend will be very messy but she was potty trained completely in one week. By the end of the weekend she was using the potty. Do not give up.
    Anonymous

• She's probably not ready. My son is 25 months and he's just starting to show interest. I still don't make him go or put him in undies. It will just make things harder in the long run if you push it.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I also did the "naked week" but with undies, it worked great for us. :)
    Good Luck!
    20smthinstylmom

Answer by 20smthinstylmom at 11:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2009