toilet full of blood!?!?!

Ok so this would be the second time today that I have went to the bathroom, had a bowel movement,... Im not constipated at all, and found a toilet bowl full of blood! Not just a few drops but it was literally full of blood so thick I couldn't even see my poo! what is going on? A few times last week I have has like spasm things that go from my butt hole all the way to some place in my stomach that hurt so bad It paralyzes me and I cant move! It will last for about a min or so then go away. No pain when I actually do go poo though. I would go to the ER but I just moved to a foreign country (we are military) and it is a four day weekend so EVERYTHING on the base is closed till tuesday.... I have no idea how I would tell a non English speaking person my problem! Does anyone know what this could possibly be and if it could wait for tuesday or should I go asap?

ms_jackson

Asked by ms_jackson at 5:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Health

• Sounds like an ulcer
    Anonymous

• Do you have hemorrhoids? That could cause bleeding. Not to scare you, but cancer is another thing that could cause bleeding. Or you could have a GI bleed, in which case you need to be seen ASAP because you can die from bleeding out.

If you must wait until Tuesday to be seen, then you must wait. HOWEVER if you notice yourself feeling weak, light-headed, or more fatigued than usual, you need to get in and see a doctor, foreign or not, right away.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Ummmm, go to the doctor!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 5:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• That would freak me out. Is there a nurses line that you can call?
    Anonymous

• I dont have hemroid... what could cause this GI thing?
    ms_jackson

Answer by ms_jackson at 5:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• No everything is closed down... holiday are VERRY important around here. Thankyou all for your responses!
    ms_jackson

Answer by ms_jackson at 5:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• i would go to the ER anyway
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I would say a hemorrhoid or a ulcer. But I thought the ER always had someone working? Maybe I'm wrong? I hope you get to feeling better soon and if you do have to wait until Tues that everything is okay!
    jziegler

Answer by jziegler at 5:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• GI Stands for Gastrointestinal. The GI tract starts with your mouth and ends with your rectum. A bleed can be caused anywhere along that tract by multiple things - medications, alcohol, infections, growths...the list goes on and on. It helps to determine where the bleed is by the type of blood that you are losing.

Is it bright red with no clots? Is it a darker red with some clots? Is it full of clots and almost blackish? The darker it is and the more clots there are, the further up the tract the bleed is, until you reach the stomach and start throwing up blood instead of excreting it from the other end.
    Other symptoms of a GI bleed can be lower abdominal pain, dry mouth and unquenchable thirst, quick heart rate, dizziness, etc.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• THe blood is coming from down lower in your colon or rectum. It sounds like you have an internal hemmeriod that you arent aware of. If the blood was coming from higher up, from an ulcer or something like that, it would be darker almost black. Digested blood turns black, so the fact that it is red tells me that it is coming from closer to the "end" when you have a BM. Does it hurt when you go? I agree and go to the Dr as soon as you can, but I dont think it is serious to the point that you are in danger of something unreversable since it is stil red blood. But if you start pooping charcoal or gritty black, then find an ER asap that is open.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2009