How do I switch from formula to whole milk

I want to know when is a good age to wean off of formula and go to whole milk

kmrouyer

Asked by kmrouyer at 5:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The recommended age is 1 year.

My daughter is now 11 months (on the 11th) and will be going to 2% milk at 1 year. I will start introducing milk to her with her snacks, in her sippy cup, so she is not unfamiliar with it when I take formula away.

Just be sure that you do not mix formula with milk. Other than that introduce it how you see fit.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Not before age 1...cows milk before age one can cause anemia and dairy allergies
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I started my daughter right around 1 year with cows milk, but you cant just switch like instead of a bottle of formula give her a bottle of cows milk. there tummys aren't used to that. So when your child gets to around a year start with like 6oz formula 2oz milk and do that for a week or so then do 4oz formula 4oz milk, then do 2oz formula 6oz milk then go ahead and give them all milk. This will ease them into something new so they wont get a belly ache. Also it eases them into a different taste as well. This worked perfectly with my daugher. Hope this helps you :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Whenever the main source of nutrition is real food and a balanced diet (or close to it anyway) is being eaten.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• i asked a similar question the other day! most say by 1 year, since formula/breastmilk is their main source of nutrition throughout infant age. my son will be a year on the 19th and we were given the thumbs up to start the weaning process. he has self weaned off me, but still occasionally nurses once a day. what i'm doing for bottles: he usually takes a 6 oz bottle of formula, so I have reduced it to 5 oz, and added 1 oz regular milk. I have been told (by other moms on here) it takes about 1-2 weeks, but I am doing it slower since i'm a newbie at this LOL. but tomorrow I will do 4 oz formula and 2 oz regular mi, give it a couple days, and so on. supposedly it isnt that hard to wean to regular milk! the process is just to get them used to the new taste since many babies dont like sudden change.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2009