Pro-Choicers...

I keep reading about all these parents and schools that are anti-sex ed, or that believe the only education should be abstainance.

I see this as foolish.

If teaching abstainance worked it the 60's never would have happened...

So, here's my question...

For all you pro-Choicers out there. How do you feel about sex ed? Do you feel that a better sex ed program, one that explored protection and birth control as well as options other than abortion, would be a benifit? Do you feel it's needed? And how do you feel the subject applies to that of Abortion?

*Also posting one for Pro-Lifers...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:41 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• What does this have to do with pro-choicers? I'm confused because I thought it was usually the pro-lifers that are against sex ed... lol
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 5:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I think a mixed course would be best. explaining and drilling into kids heads that abstinence is the only 100% guaranteed birth control and then covering the other types like natural planning, pills, foams and of course condoms would probably save a lot of heart ache .
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 5:48 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• It's fine. I do think birth control should be taught as options. I think STD's including AIDS need more coverage. Abortion should be covered as an option. But abstainance is not the only thing that should be taught. I draw the line at S&M though. Keep it with the basics, the consequences/risks, and the prevention of some of said risks. Birth control definitely.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I totally support a larger/broader sexual education programs! I fully believe that PROPER education on sexual functions, the prevention of STD's and preganancy, discussions on sexual assault/rape/etc and the options afterwards if "trouble" should occur should be incorperated into the health curriculum.

Then, based on parental consent, the students could be seperated into group discussion (preferablly with volunteer parents, teachers, etc) that is based on the specifics of when to engage in sexual conduct. For parents that believe in abstinence or take a religious compass regarding sex and all related matters, they can base it off of those ideals. For parents that do not have a religious ideation for their beliefs or the are more "liberal" they can have another group. In any/all groups an open dialogue between students and adults could help break down barriers in child/adult communication reagarding these issues.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Here's a little story about sex ed... both of my dd's were raised in a Lutheran Private school..sex ed taught, then when jr high/high sc comes along and finacial issues came up they went public... more sex ed, even that class that the children (both M&F) brought home a doll... I would talk to my dd's all the time about waiting, and if they could not or let's say per pressure... then come to me ...
    All sex ed did was encourage (at least in the school they attended) is NOT to have an abortion and to keep the baby if you decide to have sex and do get pg...
    Gee... how wisdom seems to escape some people and their stupid way of thinking.... and after my dd's had children one at 17 and the other at 14, I know NOW that sex -ed in schools are biase and are not as helpful as you would think and no matter how much you talk to your child, they are going to make their own choices to have or not have sex...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• thisloveofmine - I'm asking both sides to get both arguments. I know many pro-choicers that are anti-sex ed. They feel that Abstainance should be the only thing taught but shoud she get pregnant abortion is an alternative.

Personally I feel that the education is neccessary! That Abortion should NOT be used as BC, and that all avenues need to be taught to ALL children!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am now raising a grandchild bc my one dd could not handle the pressure of being a mother and bc "THEY" said NOT to have an abortion this child has lost out more... I am pro-choice... I offered my then 13 yr old an option of an abortion... stood by her all the way... and bc what these sex-ed classes taught... she choose not too and he has lost out his parents...
    People assume if you play you pay is the proper way to teach... I am here to tell you it's NOT... these children need more to make them understand what it takes... these sex-ed classes did not do that at that time... and to date haven't changed one bit in their teachings...
    I am all for the school system staying OUT of private home affairs... they try to and have at times over ride many parents way of believing on raising children...(JMO)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Ever since I had my kid, I thought more emphasis should have been put on what pregnancy and childbirth FEELS like.....I know the experience sure made me afraid to have sex after I had my dd LOL!
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• When I was in Sex-Ed in HS (about 99ish) We had a very well rounded course. Now, we did't go in to the Babies, that was child care clases and home-ec, but they went over everything from abstainance to condoms to the different kinds of BC and their pros and cons. Abortion WAS covered, in great detail. In fact each type was covered and explored in all it's bloody horror. So were STDs- FULL COLOR VIDS- and pregnancy and delivery. They even showed a film of a woman giving birth, bloody, poopy and tearing painful delivery... We were taught condoms, shots, pills, spermaside, female condoms, spounges and everything else that the instructer could think of. He even covered odd things that you usually wouldn't think of, like the emotional end, suicide of "abandoned" lovers and rape. What is rape and how to stop it, what do you do about it, if she says NO you STOP. Everything! To me that's real Sex ed - It was a full year class!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I do think contraception should be taught in sex ed. It's fine to teach that abstinence is the only 100% method, but other methods should also be taught. I have a boy and two girls, and you can bet that all three of them will be given the basics of natural family planning (even the boy!) and we will definitely be encouraging condom use and other bc methods. It's really surprising to me how few women really understand how their bodies work (and I was among them until I had fertility issues and did a lot of reading until I 'demystified' the nature of my problems.) You see all the 'Am I pregnant? Could I be pregnant?' questions on these boards??? That is the penalty of not learning basic info about how the human reproductive system works at an early age!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009