Pro-Lifers...

I keep reading about all these parents and schools that are anti-sex ed, or that believe the only education should be abstainance.

I see this as foolish.

If teaching abstainance worked it the 60's never would have happened...

So, here's my question...

For all you pro-Lifers out there. How do you feel about sex ed? Do you feel that a better sex ed program, one that explored protection and birth control as well as options other than abortion, would be a benifit? Do you feel it's needed? And how do you feel the subject applies to that of Abortion?

*Also posting one for Pro-Choicers...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am just replying now because I want to be able to find this later. Will be back with a longer post when I have more time.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:48 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am a Pro-Life person and I do believe that the sex ed classes are somewhat "old fashioned" and that abstinence is just really not the "norm" among young ppl anymore. Instead of preaching abstinence..ppl need to be realistic about the times we are living in now and that the use of birth control pills, condoms, and other forms of protection should be addressed rather than abstinence. However I absolutely DO NOT think that abortion should be taught to young kids as an option to choose if they become pregnant. Many kids that are having sex are way to immature to understand the emotional ramifications of their actions if they do become pregnant and might just see abortion as the easiest way out when they won't totally understand it. Protection and birth control methods should be taught but I don't believe that anything should be said about what they SHOULD do if they were to become pregnant...except to tell their parents.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I think that sex ed is a wonderful thing. More and more kids today are making horrible mistakes b/c their parents aren't teaching them anything but abstinence and are refusing to allow them to go through sex ed at school. I think that if kids were given the opportunity to learn other options, it would considerably reduce the amount of teenage pregnancies, and, thus, abortions.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I totally support a larger/broader sexual education programs! I fully believe that PROPER education on sexual functions, the prevention of STD's and preganancy, discussions on sexual assault/rape/etc and the options afterwards if "trouble" should occur should be incorperated into the health curriculum.

Then, based on parental consent, the students could be seperated into group discussion (preferablly with volunteer parents, teachers, etc) that is based on the specifics of when to engage in sexual conduct. For parents that believe in abstinence or take a religious compass regarding sex and all related matters, they can base it off of those ideals. For parents that do not have a religious ideation for their beliefs or the are more "liberal" they can have another group. In any/all groups an open dialogue between students and adults could help break down barriers in child/adult communication reagarding these issues.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Whoops...I'm a Pro-choicer...will repost in the other one.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• They definitely need to cover birth control. too many young kids are killing innocent babies because they were too horny/stupid to protect themselves against it in the first place. My class actually saw aborted babies when we were taught about it. (Some aborted some miscarried rather . All perserved) I think it definitely drove the point home. They should be taught about abortion, but emphasis on prevention in the first place.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• As a Christian I don't support the sex-ed programs in public schools, because they teach that certain sexual experiences that the Bible forbids are good. I am not going to keep my girls in a chastity belt or shield them from reality. But it is up to me to teach them about sex, not the public schools or government.

I do believe that abstinence until marriage is the only safe sex option. I don't know what choices my children will make, and I will support them no matter what. But I am not going to allow someone else to lead them down a dangerous path of promiscuity and pills. Sex is more than scratching an itch and we are more than animals.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Sex ed is basically useless, regardless of the curriculum. You'll be hard pressed to find a pregnant teenager who had NO CLUE how the baby got there. They can have sex ed once a month from 5th grade on, it does nothing to change the fact that they are teenagers, have hormones, and think they are invincible. That doesn't mean it should be stopped, because there are the few rare kids out there who really do think you can get pregnant from a toilet seat and get rid of it with a coke bottle, but the argument over abstinence vs comprehensive is pointless. They both fail equally.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I honestly do believe that trying to instill the desire to be abstinent is our first line of defense, but I also believe in thorough sex education, and in keeping communication open. I'm going to raise my child to know that I really hope he waits, but if he doesn't I want to at least make sure he's safe, and I want for him to be able to come to me and talk to me before he does anything. I'm going to make sure that he knows how to be safe, while also making sure he completely understands that the ONLY 100% way is abstinence. Hopefully he'll be like me and his father and not want to share that kind of thing with just anyone - hopefully, like us, he'll want to wait, but I can't force him to, and I'd much rather have an open relationship with him and have him safe than have him sneaking around and hiding things and not being safe, kwim?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:17 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I am going to have my girls watch the Pam Stenzel videos "Sex Has a Price Tag" she is sooooo funny and candid and honest. I think every mom would enjoy their kids watching these videos. Check them out.

Sex Has A Price Tag Video

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2009