so my daughter is almost 22 months an she is throwing things all of the time at me an tells me no an throws tantrums an i know thats part of the teribble two stage but what do i do??? help

Liliana23

Asked by Liliana23 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would make her pick up the item that she threw and put her in her room for a while after telling her sternly what she did was wrong. My son throws things when he gets mad and you have to let them know sternly that what they are doing is wrong. Otherwise, you will find yourself being parnoid and jumping everytime they have something in their little hands. And this definitely should not happen because you are the Parent not them. It is better to nip it in the bud now because it will only get worst as they get older. Hope that helps.........
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 6:17 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Firstly, prevention: If it's predictable,it's preventable!

When she does have a tantrum: Stop her hands gently & firmly with yours. Say, "You will not break things/hurt others." Address her feelings, help her to put words and concepts to her emotions: "Wow, you are so angry! You wanted to get on the table, but Mommy said NO and you are so mad now! You want to throw things! You are feeling so mad, I see that!" Contrary to popular belief, this will not teach her that it's okay to hit and yell - but that it's okay to feel angry and to not know what to do, and that you can find OTHER ways besides acting out physically to deal with them. You can set up a "cuddle corner" which is a special safe area she can go to get calm (with snuggles if she wants); perhaps having some Angry Pillows she can hit, or a couple Nerf balls that she can throw in a Mad Mad Mad basket... these are safe, creative outlets for the physical anger she feels.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• bust her ass
    Anonymous