How can I prepare myself for baby #2's arrival?

I am expecting my 2nd child Sept 5th and at that time my daughter will be 18 mos old. What can I do to prepare, any advice from you experienced moms who have 2 under 2, or more? Thanks so much!!

rjacob2008

Asked by rjacob2008 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was 2 1/2 when our daughter was born. We kept showing him pictures of babies and would tell him a new baby would be at his house soon. We bought little lawn chairs for them before she was born, and the yellow one was his and the pink one was hers. He would always point to it and say, "That's Autumn's chair." When she was born, we helped him hold her in his lap and told him he was going to be such a great big brother and teach her things. We kept emphasizing the "Big Brother" a lot and congratulating him and making him feel very important. We gave him little gifts at the hospital to keep him occupied. We let him help us change her diapers. He loved to go get a clean diaper or wipes for us. We'd always tell him, "Wow, what a great big brother you are!!!!" You are going to feel like you can't stretch yourself between the two enough, but the first year is the hardest. It gets better of course!!!
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 10:06 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I'm in the same boat as you. I'm just going to keep coming back to see what other moms say. :)
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 6:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Good question, my son is almost 13 months, and I just had a positive pt so, I also would like to see answers. I think its gonna be a blast. =)
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• well what I did was let my first child be the big sister. My daughter was 18 mths old when her brother was born. Even though she was only 1 and a half, I still made her a part of everything we did to get ready for him. When I was in labor (he was born at home), she was there, coloring. As soon as he was born, we put him on her lap. I, also. was still nursing her. I got advice from the LaLeche League and was told to let the newborn nurse first and get all he wanted, then nurse my oldest child. It worked out great and she never was one bit jealous of him. Make them a part of that baby. Helping feed the baby (if bottle-fed), holding it. if just propped up with a pillow and laying on the oldest child's lap. Anything you do for the newborn, make the oldest child a part. I hope that's what you needed to know and that this will help you.
    1daughter5sons

Answer by 1daughter5sons at 7:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I only have one child, but I live with my sister who had a two yr old at the time. When I was pregnant we brought around alot of babies so he could get used to the idea of sharing. We also brought him a doll so he could hold it and see what it's like to be big cousin.
    Aijanai

Answer by Aijanai at 9:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My kids are spaced apart alittle more then that but when I was pregnant with our second son we involved our oldest in EVERYTHING. I also sat down and me and him watched loads of baby shows together. I just did that with my second when preggers with our third. He is such a great big brother but he is older than yours too. Make sure that you make seperate time with your oldest and you to have time whether it be watching a movie or playing a game it is important to them. Also make sure that you let them know that it is there baby to. GL hun.
    mom2wy

Answer by mom2wy at 10:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I agree involve the oldest as much as possible, prepare her now. Let her know about the baby in your tummy and read books about being an older sibling to her. : ) You will do fine..its all trial and error.
    sararsara

Answer by sararsara at 10:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Thanks ladies!!I appreciate all the good advice!
    rjacob2008

Answer by rjacob2008 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 10, 2009